Original topic:

Emergency alerts

(Topic created on: 10-01-2019 06:29 PM)
Pandaseibert
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy A
Can anyone explain why I still receive emergency alerts despite the fact that I've turned emergency alerts sound off and I've  turned off extreme, severe, amber and wpas emergency alerts?

PandaS
Burlington Ontario Canada 
0 Likes
9 Comments
Galaxy A
It is the provincial emergency alert system that sends messages to owners phones. I still get the alerts no matter what when I have my alert sounds off. I could be mistaken but as far as I know, I don't think there is any way to avoid getting the alerts.
0 Likes
apparitor
Active Level 5
Galaxy A

The option mostly applies outside of Canada. We get only one type of alert and thats the highest level so we would recieve it no matter what options you set. For the majority you can't opt out of the alert. 

0 Likes
Pandaseibert
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
Awesome. I'll add my Galaxy A8 to the long list of technology in my house that fail to deliver.
0 Likes
xiLLeNtz
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
There are three levels of alerts: Presidential, Weather and Amber. In Canada, the company that pushes Amber alerts sends them as Presidential alerts, and those kind can not be disabled on any phone.
0 Likes
Pandaseibert
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
So some level of government is interfering with the functions on my phone. Any idea who?
0 Likes
cloneofghosts
Active Level 4
Galaxy A

Nobody is interfering with your phone, as mentioned in Canada ALL alerts are sent out as Presidental Alerts which you cannot block. In other parts of the world (such as the US) an Amber Alert is sent out as an Amber Alert a Tornado Alert would be sent out as a Severe Alert which means you can disable those.

So unless Alert Ready/CRTC change the alerts to how they function you'll never be able to block them in Canada. You can take a look at their website: https://www.alertready.ca/ and send them a message and hope that they send the alerts as they are supposed to (like in the US)

0 Likes
cloneofghosts
Active Level 4
Galaxy A

As others have mentioned theres no way to opt-out of getting alerts but there are ways to avoid getting the sound.

- Have your phone in vibrate and it'll only vibrate when you get an emergency alert.
- Turn your phone off means that you won't get the alert entirely.
- Put your phone in airplane mode does the same thing as turning your phone off.
- Having your phone in Do Not Disturb may work? It works for some but not others, your mileage will vary with this one.

I don't know of any other way to not get the sound when you get an emergency alert. I personally have my phone on vibrate and I've never gotten the sound when an alert comes.

0 Likes
Pandaseibert
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
I thought switching to vibrate would affect all notifications. 3 use my phone to wake me up and remind me several times a day for various tasks. Just tested it. All alarms still ring (good). Incoming calls only vibrate (not so good) But if is works on emergency alerts I can live with it. I received 5 amber alerts today. My wife only received 2. Thanks for the suggestion
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy A
if you don't want alerts in the middle of the night, a trick I discovered is to plug in earphones to your phone... the sound will not come out the speakers
0 Likes