Original topic:

Google is dirty

(Topic created on: 10-30-2019 07:27 AM)
mindl
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy A
They say they did not want to allow one entity to dominate like Microsoft did.

So what did they do? They got EVERYONE involved and now your phone is obsolete every 2 years.

They de-centralized the blame. Nobody even knows they're supposed to be mad.

My evil Microsoft laptop is in its eleventh year and runs better than it did with its original OS. (XP).

So, go ahead and kick out Huawei. Remember Joe Carter's homerun? Say it with these words:

"Kick'em all out, Google!"
8 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
You know Google was forced to block Huawei right?
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
That makes even more sense. I did see a video about Huawei sales and technology that was a factor
But forced or not, i'd like to see more departures from the current system.
Sure all the companies are in, but it's the same OS against Mac.....

We have Linux distros. Let's move to a decentralized format that allows compatibility, but responsibility on the manufacturer to show the customer longevity for devices that are ready for it.
0 Likes
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

I hope than you know than it is Samsung that is not giving you more than 2 years of update ? Google give 3 years on their device...And I agree, this is inconceivable to get only 2 years , it should be 4 years minimum...

Start a petition, i will sign it :)

https://www.frandroid.com/android/mises-a-jour-android/466878_google-pixel-2017-trois-ans-de-mises-a...

0 Likes
Samesung
Active Level 10
Galaxy A
Meanwhile Apple will be following Samsungs lead with short term support...when the market stagnates you force the market to buy.
0 Likes
KidAKidB
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
I'm no fan of Apple, but I can't imagine them reducing their support.
0 Likes
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
Samsung could do it. All the manufacturers can. But they all hide under the same OS and willingly bow to Google's rules because of the 2 year update allowance everyone gives. I think google gives 3. But, it's time for this nonesense to end.
You're now seeing many phones that are more than capable of handling current software not getting support.
Let's not only allow, but make the manufacturer build their own OS with more freedoms and less restrictive ownership by Google and their store.
Sure the playstore has decent items. But by design, it causes disasters we all have on our phones The Galaxy Store is horrible.
There just needs to be less Google.
Let manufacturers borrow and create and build for their own phones. Samsung is the only phone i can handle. The rest all look the same. So tired of this "pure android" stuff. It looks like a 3rd grader designed it.
Galaxy A
Don't know if you saw my post -showing my 6+ year old Note 3 running Android 10?
Of course the hardware is more than capable of running more than 2 Android versions after release - Obviously Samsung only supports 2 Android version updates because they want people to buy their new devices - "Planned Obsolescence" at it's finest 🐧
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
Sweet. There's pie roms for the S5 as well on XDA. I am toying with an SGH-S730M tonight. Was able to root and put TWRP on it and flash a boot.img to overclock. Didn't notice any improvement but it was fun.
It's 7 years old next month. I can't get any link to the 1 or 2 custom.ROMS. Only stock is an octoplus file and superr's kitchen can't pull anything off of it for me to work on... in recovery or booted with ADB root priv.
I could take the entire system via adb, but geez...