Original topic:

Text message character limit

(Topic created on: 08-28-2018 11:35 AM)
Pendragon1
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy A
Can I set text message character limit on the A5? Seems to default to 200 (as I found only in Quick Message settings page), but not able to reduce it.
I want to set it to my carrier's limit of 140/msg.
Though asking that, there is no character countdown displayed...?
I am on dirt cheap old plan, but it has Sent Text limit, so I'd like to know when 1 word too many pushes me into a 2nd text. Thanks!
0 Likes
11 Comments
Galaxy A
I didn't read the article but have a look 🐧

http://www.phonetipsandtricks.com/tips/samsung-galaxy-a5/prevent-sms-turning-into-or-converting-to-mms-message-when-too-large-101/
Pendragon1
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
Appreciate the link, sadly this is for something else. Finding a lot of them - sound like what I need, but for different aspect/feature/phone. I may be asking for an option no one else needs nowadays.
Thanks for very speedy reply all the same!
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy A
contact your carrier for support, they should be able to fix it for you
0 Likes
Lydia123
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

This depends on one constantly looking out for a character counter when one is typing - ridiculous!

0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy A
The character count will display when you reach within the last 10 characters of reaching the SMS limit. It will show 10 characters and begin counting down with each character input. The second number after the character count is the SMS message count.

Edit: Emoticons will reduce the amount of characters that can be sent via sms. That is probably why you really can't set an exact character count as it will vary based on what is contained in the sms itself.2d94cbfd-836c-46e2-8f16-573bf9e49d34.jpg
0 Likes
Pendragon1
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
That's reassuring then, thank you!
Seems it will still be based on a higher character count though. Either 160 or 200, since those seem to be "standard" limits now.
I'm going to try some tests!

Edit
160 is the character count, and it starts it's countdown - just as you noted - at 150 & counting down last 10.
Your pic was believed, I just had to see it "real time", again thanks.
0 Likes
sirdre
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
😯 Only in Canada to worry over the amount of text you send on a plan. It's ridiculous. I bet you pay like $25 or more? What plan is this?
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
Never saw a plan with a limit on text message characters. What plan is that?
0 Likes
Pendragon1
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
It's an old, non-data (I can hear the gasps 😀) plan that is otherwise unlimited and well featured - but has a sent text cap.
I generally don't exceed it, but I've always been able to see my 140 max counting down.
It's not a significant issue now, I was just hoping there was a way to adjust the character limit.
I found info the S5 could, and while it's an older phone, I was hoping there was a similar setting burried somewhere in the sub-settings.
0 Likes