Original topic:

identfying running applications processes

(Topic created on: 05-25-2020 12:34 PM)
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy A
On Android 9 how are running application s displayed. 
I know how to find running services. I can view open apps. 
I have an app that detects internet chat and when it is closed I still get notifications and I don't see the app or any process running for it.
0 Likes
13 Comments
Galaxy A
Running Services is essentially the same as running Apps - Apps that are running need to be using Services - You can also go to Settings - Battery & Look at the list of Apps that are using the Battery.
0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
Then there is series security problem. I am trying wickr app and with the application closed I receive notifications of a message and I don't see the application process or app running.
0 Likes
Galaxy A
It's probably just a notification that it was momentarily running in the background & I wouldn't be concerned about it - Google Messages Beta Test versions are also running in the background - But steadily it seems on the Betas.
It's likely to be intended behaviour to check for new messages.

Wickr has a good reputation & other than RCS not being supported (afaik) - You'd have to be really paranoid to be crying "security problem" at every activity - Really don't know why you even use technology..
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy A

Hi SamSungtwo, Try Force Stopping the application which will kill all the services associated with it and observe if you are getting any notifications. If not, then there must be some service running under the hood when the application is closed normally.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
hi keagan , if I stop the app it will not receive notifications. however I cannot identify the process when I close the wickr app. The app clearly closes and I cannot identify what is sending the notificationrelated to this app.
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy A
Hi SamSungtwo,
You can view the running services by following the below path.
Go to Settings app >> About phone >> Software information >> Tap "Build number" seven times.
This will unlock the hidden Developer options.
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer options > Running services.
0 Likes
oooOmitoOooo
Active Level 10
Galaxy A
have you accessed adb before?
0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
I am aware of the adb app but this is a new phone and I expect it to notify me of all running apps.
0 Likes
oooOmitoOooo
Active Level 10
Galaxy A

@SamSungtwo,

I would expect the same.   

I mentioned adb not as a permanent fix, but as a tool used in the root cause analysis of the symptoms you are reporting.

0 Likes