Original topic:

About charging and battery

(Topic created on: 09-22-2017 12:03 PM)
Tallman
Options
Galaxy Note
Hi Guys,

I read a previous post about how useful of Bixby quick command. I did use it too. However, here is my question…Are you guys leave the phone charging while in bed? I mean charging over night?

The reason I am asking is if I tell Bixby to turn alarm on, turn on silent mode and turn screen off, my phone has to be on. Then next day when wake up, I may not have enough battery for the whole day. So, does nowadays technology allow us to keep charging when battery is full? Or we need to unplug the phone when battery is full? I tried to search on web, different people have different answers. Want to hear what other members think.
0 Likes
12 Comments
Mawomo
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
Hey Tallman, smartphones these days use Lithium Ion batteries. You can plug your phone in at night and leave it plugged in till the morning. It wont explode or anything, once the battery has been charged to full, it will cut off the power and wont "over charge"
If you happen to use your phone while plugged in, it wont use power from the battery, but from the AC plug. Hope this helps.
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy Note
With today's technology once the batteries are fully charged it's stops charging regardless if the phone is plug in or not....
Just an FYI I leave no e plugged in over night
Galaxy Note
Wow, she beat me to it. She is 100% correct, you can leave your phone charged in over night, it wont damage your battery, and it will be fine.
Also in addition to this post, I was hoping I can get some thoughts on how others charge there phones. (think I have asked this in a previous post)
Do you charge your phone only when its low, or do you charge it whenever you want..say at 60%.
Also do you unplug your phone until its fully charged, or do you unplug it when your about to leave the house say at 92% and its not fully charged?
I dont think there is a right or wrong answer here, phones are made to be charged whenever you need to, regardless if you plug it in from 60% to 100% or 20% to 80%, or most common 5% or lower to 100%
Galaxy Note
I usually charge my phone in 2 senarios.

1. When the charge is about 40% @ 6pm, then will charge my phone if I still need to go out at night. If not, goto senaro#2,

2. When I off work and plugin charging, then will unplug @ 100%

My habbit is turn the phone off at night.
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Oh…good to know. Thanks guys. I was using my Note3 for 7 years and Note3 finished charging, will popup a messsge and ask me to unplug my phone. This is why I asked the question. Love the new technology :)
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
you shouldnt see any pop up. it will just stay at 100% until you unplug it :)
0 Likes
NasJiJi
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
hey tallman, personally I charge my phone about every other day. or I wait until it's within 5% before charging. cause with other phones I've had issues of phone getting really hot. if I over charge. but I do charge it over night and never really had serious battery issues. however, I will say don't over charge too much cause it can ruin the half life of the battery cells....hope it helps ^^
Galaxy Note
Thx NasJiJi, this is what I think too; however, other members said that new technology allow to charge overnight and won't hurt the battery (I guess won't ruin the half life of the battery cells too).
0 Likes
NasJiJi
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
no problem. it's true batteries are getting better. but remember even lithium batteries have a life cycle. each cycle is the number of full charge to discharge that you get. so overtime it loses voltage, regardless how advanced.