Original topic:

Can't believe how easy the note 8 scratches

(Topic created on: 10-12-2017 02:49 PM)
marcol
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note
I upgraded from an s4 so obviously the phone is amazing by comparison except for the glass exterior. my s4 screen doesn't have a screen protector nor anything else to protect it and yet the 5 year old phone doesn't have a scratch on it. 2 days after buying my note I started to see small scratches on the front and back glass. not sure if this is from putting it in my pocket or setting it down in my desk or counter but this is appalling. Why bother making a beautiful looking phone if I have to cover it in a case and a tempered glass cover (which adds a lot of extra unnecessary costs and takes away from the design)? that and the damn fingerprints. now that I have the Whitestone dome and tech 21 case it's safe from both problems but I still think it's ridiculous to have to go to these lengths. I love the phone but there is a massive problem when you have to wrap it up like it's a delicate baby within the first day. I think Samsung needs to do something about this as it seems to be a problem with the glass they've been using for the past couple of years. might be tougher to break but scratches like hell and that's not right.
6 Comments
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
it's likely material transfer.... Gorilla Glass 5 is an industry leader in the market place and is far better than glass on your S4. There is plenty of Independent review material on this...and GG5 is also the glass of choice for HTC, LG, Huawei, and others.

Try an aggressive polish.
0 Likes
marcol
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
well they can talk all they want on paper about how strong the glass is but I never needed an aggressive polish on my s4 glass and it never broke, even after 5 years of use. meanwhile the note lasted two days and scratches started. they are along the edge part just before it curves and I've seen many people online complaining about the same thing with their S8. I just wish I had known this before. I'll try a polish to the back and see if you're correct but they look like real scratches to me. I'm not going to take off my dome protector now. Besides the way this glass collects fingerprints is another reason it was a stupid decision to use this glass. My dome barely gets any prints on it so it's obviously possible to makes a glass that is scratch and fingerprint free. sorry but this is a big fail in my books.
0 Likes
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
not really papertalk...there are lots of Independent testing...

https://youtu.be/t5r3r__noNU

i dunno... i only use a case when driving (to attach the phone to a magnetic holder). im pretty aggressive with it, as i replace them yearly and no scratches for me.
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy Note
Hey @marcol, thanks for the honest feedback. I'll be sure to pass your complaint of the glass being too prone to scratches and fingerprints back to the team so that they can take that into consideration for future releases.

-Nick
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
ya i have an s7 edge and i was surprised as to how easily my screen cracked. i'm very careful with my phones and have screen protectors and cases on them i had a small plastic $4 mouse drop on the screen and it cracked it. for a $1000 phone i was pissed. to and insult to injury it cost me a s**t load of money to get it replaced.
0 Likes
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
Ive broken a lot of glass.... but never had scratched up glass... corning does mention they have warned manufacturers about drop results on the curved portion... and thats where my S7 took it on the chin...
0 Likes