Original topic:

Face Recognition

(Topic created on: 05-23-2020 09:57 PM)
apparitor
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy Note
So with Apple releasing a  update with there face unlock to be able to unlock the device even if the user had some sort of face mask / covering. 

Any news on if samsung is gonna do the same?

Even with the new update allowing alternative looks it still must detect a face to unlock so I tried multiple poses with surgical and normal face masks and nothing really works beside face shield. 

Yes the fingerprint scanner can be a substitute but not when wearing gloves. 

Stay safe all. 
11 Comments
dejanh
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
Just to be clear, Apple did not release support for face masks. Apple made it easy to bypass Face ID and enter a password if you're wearing a mask. It would be completely idiotic to allow face unlocking with a mask.
apparitor
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
So by bypassing face ID, means its not actually unlocking my phone through facial recognition? I work in an ICU ward and we have to wear a face mask or n95 depending on the situation and notice our phones have been unlocking with the masks on, no password needed.

one colleague asked apple because he thought it was a security bug but apparently they know tweak the software to look at ears and eyes features to unlock the device.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Apple has secure face scanning. Samsung and most Android OEMs only rely on completely unsafe 2D face scanning outside of proper biometrics. Don't use Face Scanning. You might as well set your password to 1234.

They used to have something much safer, iris scanning, but they got rid of that as looks were considered more important than functionality.
CynicalJerk84
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
i loved the iris scan in my note 8
apparitor
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
I would think Samsung unsecured face unlock would allow one to trick it to unlock with a face mask but its still smart enough not to unlock or not allow you to setup one. kinda a bummer because now its only password for me as taking off gloves during work would lead to atleast 15 pairs+ tossed out just to use fingerprint. Maybe ill try the portrait in pocket to unlock my phone 😂

Never really used IRIS scanning on my note 8 as my family was prone with cataracts, but it was indeed cool feature of my beloved note 7.

The other option is to EDC my xs max instead of my note or op7pro
yt8rt
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
so what you are saying is my password should not be 1234? if so then i need to change all my password's 😂
0 Likes
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Galaxy Note
why can't you just a 4 digit pin to unlock your phone? or well you are at work set up trusted location where it will stay unlocked at work
Galaxy Note
you can never expect an update from Samsung. They are just too incompetent. They release different updated at drastic timelines for various regions
-Tony
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi apparitor,

That is a nice suggestion. We will consider it as a feedback .