Original topic:

Galaxy Note 10+ Android 10 Vulkan Driver Issue - Lower fps

(Topic created on: 01-14-2020 03:33 PM)
tansoftware
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy Note

After upgrading my Galaxy Note 10+ to Android 10, I noticed a significant framerate reduction in applications/games that use the Vulkan api. I thought this was an isolated issue with one unoptimized application, but after running 3D Mark and AnTuTu 3D benchmarks, I noticed an approximately 30% degradation in benchmark scores across all Vulkan Api tests compared to earlier tests I ran on Android 9.

I'm not entirely sure what happened after the upgrade, but all my applications that rely on Vulkan are noticeably slower and choppy. Surprisingly, the same applications when forced to use OpenGL, performed slightly better (+2 ~ 5 fps) on Android 10 vs Android 9.

I'd really appreciate it if someone from Samsung's technical/engineering team can take a look into this matter as I strongly suspect that the Vulkan drivers used in Android 10 are poorly optimized for the Note 10+.

Anyone else noticing the same issue, please leave a comment below so Samsung can look into this and prioritize a fix in their next OTA update.

Thanks.

0 Likes
5 Comments
theonecid
Expert Level 2
Galaxy Note
This needs to be reported to Samsung then. Hopefully they see this post, and if true, hope it gets resolved in upcoming patches
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi @tansoftware!

Just wanted to let you know that I'm escalating your issue! Someone should be in contact soon. If you want you can also send a report in the Samsung Members app - hit the sign while in the home page, and hit Send feedback.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Likes
tansoftware
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note
Hi @Jeremy_from_Samsung

I've submitted the feedback report as instructed.

I really hope they look into this matter as all of my 3D graphics-intensive apps that rely on Vulkan have been impacted.

It is also important to note that my Galaxy Note 10+ is the Qualcomm variant.

Thanks again for your help and support.

Best regards,
TANsoft
0 Likes
tansoftware
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note
Hi @Jeremy_from_Samsung

Samsung's Technical Support reached out and suggested I perform a full cache format via recovery which I did, but unfortunately nothing changed. My Vulkan dependent apps are performing poorly compared to how they performed on Android 9.

I ran 3D Mark again and it still shows lower scores for the Vulkan API tests. With Android 9, Vulkan API tests always scored highier than OpenGL tests which is how it should be and not vice versa. OpenGL tests score better on Android 10 than Android 9 which is expected, but Vulkan performs miserably on Android 10.

I hope they find out what happened. I strongly suspect that the Vulkan drivers used in Android 10 are not optimized for the Galaxy Note 10+ (Qualcomm variant).
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi @tansoftware,

I'm really sorry to hear that! I'll keep you updated if anything comes out of the inquiry I sent.

Cheers,

Jeremy

0 Likes