Original topic:

I want to upgrade but I can't - Thoughts on N10

(Topic created on: 09-28-2019 06:02 PM)
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Options
Galaxy Note
I just can't do it. I really want to upgrade to an S10 or Note10 series device. Why can't I do it?

Money isn't the problem. I could hop in store and buy one right this instant. 

It just feels... I dunno, pointless?

I currently have my Note9 and I honestly can't complain about anything missing or needing to be improved. Big, uninterrupted QHD+ HDR display, stereo speakers, headphone jack, SD slot, USB-C 3.1, IP68, Bluetooth S-Pen, rear fingerprint scanner and front Iris scanner, heart rate and SpO² sensors, plenty of RAM, fast SD845, big 4000mAh battery, great camera... What else is there?

Unfortunately, not only the Note10/+ brings only very few improvements to the aformentionned features and characteristics, but it also downgrades on some of the aformentionned characteristics.

I think you get it now. Why spend 1400$ onalmost the same thing again? The only reason why I want to upgrade is for the upcoming beta for OneUI 2.0/Android Q. Not a wise reason to upgrade, don't you think?

Really, I'm happy with my Note9. It has everything I need and some more. If anything, it gives me confidence that the Note10/+ should give around the same level of satisfaction as the Note9 (or maybe less due to some of the compromises talen, but still satisfying). Unfortunately now I have to find a solution for the betas...
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
YouTube reviews are like a huge dump. There may still be something good hidden under all that junk but the vast majority is garbage.
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
I always buy the new Note every year, passing the prev gen to my wife, and she passes her gen to my son... who, by that time is anxiously awaiting the replacement because he smashes up the screen, and/or destroys it entirely.

This makes the decision process easy for me.

That said, while I was completely happy with my N9, I am finding the differences to be substantial for my usage. I am power business user, and general product enthusiast as well.

The most notable for me:

1. Battery(wear and recharge) - I'm having a hard time wearing it down. It seems to actually get me through my day, and then some. This is helping me reduce the amount of extra batteries when on travel, and im more confident that I dont need to nurse the phone, or have alternative charging strategies. If I do get caught in a pinch, the 25w charger is very robust. These two differences really remove the legacy of battery headaches that i experienced on previous notes(and mobile phones in general).

2. Display - Im finding the extra little difference in screen size to be helpful when working with excel, general document review, and note taking. Its not that Note9 was poor in this respect, but the incremental difference is noticable when used for these purposes.

N10+ also is noticeably brighter. It pretty much checks the completion box of perfect brightness in full sun. Even when not in full sun, its powerful enough to get through my polarized sun glasses.

3. The rear accessory charge - I using this to charge my Frontier, and Samsung Buds. That wonky shaped watch charger is now banished from my travel kit.... Victory! Charging these devices anecdotally seems to draw very little from the battery.

On the more personal side, the wide angle lens provides and great photography flavor, and the video stabilization, and audio zoom is excellent.

Lastly, Storage, its fast and large. This will be my first note (aside from N5) that I have no plans to fuss with an external card.

To me the improvements on N10+ are not just incremental, but significant.

Regarding the perceived and popular nuisances are mostly a non-issue. Especially due to pairing with the watch.

HR sensor - rarley used, better served on watch

O2 - I always found this to be a gimmick

In screen finger print latency - I use smartlock with the watch, so i I only use FP for Samsung pay... not a big deal

Aux out - I use Samsung buds, but always keep wired headsets in my pack for back up. I have replaced those with the included USBC headset, which btw actually sounds impressively good. I do have some older audio cans, and at some point ill just buy a dongle for them.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
Joce1
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
Don't Forget that your Note 9 (and my S9 +) Will receive One UI 2.0. But later. For the rest you wrote ? I agree with you. Don't upgrade 😉👍Too much money for not much
0 Likes
Alain47
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Do you know when the S9PLUS will receive the New update, One UI 2.0 ? Thanks and i wait for your reply. Alain
0 Likes
Geico
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
I would like to see Samsung keep the jack and heart rate sensor on the next S11 series, but I believe that it will not happen unfortunately, which s u c k s. The last best S series. They shouldn't change anything with the S series. Keep the changes to the Note series, to make it a little different.
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
I've heard a number of people prefer the design language of the S9 and note 9 over the 10's.
Alain47
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
Me i like my S9Plus and i will keep it until he will die and if i have to change a battery i will do it. Never have a trouble with it and sometimes i do a factory reset and again my S9Plus as revived and whit the Samsung DeX Pad it the best thing i ever had.
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
CHMultimedia, you don't need to change your phone, you always told me Note 9 was perfect and if I was a Note 9 owner, I'd probably keep it also.

For fun, how much Samsung or Microsoft gives you for your Note 9 ?
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Samsung gives me 800, Microsoft 900 but I'd have to go to Toronto to trade-in
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
I wanted Note 10 as well but I think I will stick with Note 9 for now. Well few new samsung development (108MP sensor, new exynos chip and 5G being standard) that came out recently has really convinced me to wait for the next one.