Original topic:

My Review for the New One UI/Android Pie Update [Samsung Galaxy Note 9]

(Topic created on: 02-17-2019 08:18 PM)
CanadianHitman
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note
These are my personal thoughts that I have experienced with the new One UI update.

Pros:

Battery Life - I've noticed a change in the battery life of my Note 9 ever since I updated to the new One UI.. and that change is that the battery life has improved. Now don't get me wrong the battery life has been nothing but impressive. But now it's even better. There are some days where I don't really use my phone.. just sits there.. before the update lets say the battery was at 98%.. it would drop about 10-14% by the end of the day with limited usage. Now it only drops about 3-6%.. that's impressive.

Design - I thought I wouldn't like it the change.. but I really do. Even the clock being moved to the far left is something I like.

Speed - Apps seem to load quicker.

Cons:

No More Auto-Hide for the Nav Bar - I always liked the fact that the Navigation Bar would auto-hide in all apps, plus it was transparent. Now in apps like Coloring and Chrome it's always there and its white. So you can accidentally hit a button when you are using the Coloring App.. which is highly annoying

Split-screen Control was hard to find: I had to use good ol' Google to help me find out how to use split screen in Android Pie... it's stupid how you now have to click on the apps icon to find it. Not a good move IMHO.

As you can tell I am not a professional reviewer.. lol..

So what are you pros and cons?
29 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Cons: Ugly icons. Ugly icons. Not pretty iconography. Ugly icons. Awful icons. Ugly icons. UGLY ICONS. (Some liked them, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE THEM)

Also: No Good Lock yet, corner radius not fitting the Note9, removed Video Assistant from S Internet even though it was an awesome feature I used daily, bubbles (especially in Dark Mode)
theonecid
Expert Level 2
Galaxy Note
Icons aren't so bad. Stop dreading useless stuff
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
I put a lot of emphasis on details. And some things will bother me more than others, I can't control this phenomena.

Though don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like on Pie
Galaxy Note
Sorry you're not liking the new look. Hopefully they'll come out with an update that suits all its users likes and needs.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
That's impossible to do. Some like the new icons.
What would be perfect would be to offer the previous icons as an icon pack in the Themes store. Or improve the existing ones. Some look way too cartoonish (even though I do enjoy good cartoons), and the lack of color is also something disappointing. Adding gradients isn't hard

Those that I hate the most: Contacts, Gallery, Calendar, Camera, Settings, Samsung Notes, Reminder, Smart Switch and the upcoming Samsung Music icon (I saw it and it's horrible)

For reference, I have enclosed images of the old and new Gallery icons. The old one not only looked much better, it was also much less dull-looking thanks to a gradient 3613fc23-c721-4306-a2e3-0076a13bc068.jpg
56befe06-9aec-4a0b-81c1-6ad7237febcc.jpg
KidAKidB
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
I personally love the new icons!
Galaxy Note
The new icons suck. I downloaded an alternate set. Very disappointing. Support was not very helpful. The old package should be made available. This is minor but still indicative of how stupid Samsung management has become.
Denz
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
i thought one ui was solid at first especially because the wait was so long but its actual trash. So many polished naive features broken or just removed. All multiscreen streamlined features are either gone or broken. Being unable to rotate split screen windows, the lose of split screen app selection; replaced by a random generated application picker.

All customization plugins excluding One handed plus are broken.

Camera settings grouped together poorly and setting reorganized in a concealed manner.

This update felt to Apple like, (These are our changes deal with it, remove customization and leaving customers with the same phone user to user)
Jebourquey
Active Level 5
Galaxy Note
You can't rotate split screen view? Not a fan of that..