Original topic:

Note 8 Invisshield and Otterbox Commuter Case

(Topic created on: 04-10-2018 09:56 AM)
Vic20
Active Level 10
Options
Galaxy Note
My brother finally gave me his Note 8 to replace the broken Whitestone Dome Glass protector. I decided to try a cheaper DIY solution which is Invisshield.

Screen Protector:
The glass used is a generic dot matrix protector with no adhesive on it. The protector is cut shorter than the Whitestone Dome Glass but still covers and protects the viewing area of the screen.

Installation:
Unlike the Whitestone, there is no jig or guide to assist you with the installation. This makes the installation a little more involved and a little more prep time is required. For a guide, I used a straight edge of painter's tape taped on to the Note 8 to align the glass to. I also used the tape to cover areas where I didn't want the glue to seep into as it spreads out. Installation is similar to the Whitestone in application and curing without using a jig. Overall, it's a little more involved and requires patience. You need to eyeball where to place the glue and align the protector. You need to pay attention as the glue starts spreading across the screen as well. Carefully wipe away the excess glue seeping out as you can easilly shift the screen and misalign the screen protector. If you are nervous about this, or haven't tried this before, use water and play with it until you are more comfortable with it.

Case Compatibilty:
Due to the screen being cut shorter, it allows broader case compatibilty. The Whitestone, for example, is not compatible with the Otterbox Commuter Case as it will lift the glass protector at the corner. The InvisShield, though, is compatible with the Otterbox Commuter. Pushing the corners and trying to get the InvisShield to lift was futile oon my part. The glass stayed put on the screen and did not lift during my test to try and lift the glass.

Overall:
If you are more of a DIY person I could easily recommend this. It's cheaper than Whitestone and you don't need to buy all the other parts included in the kit Whitestone provides. You can just buy the things you need to install the glass (which keeps costs down).

The only thing I did not check is sensitivity. Though I don't think it would be any different than Whitestone as it is a full adhesive glass protector. I'm sure if there were issues my brother would have informed me.

Attaching pictures of the InvisShield and Otterbox Commuter case. :)13808ee5-2c64-481b-bbbe-05399f62a470.jpg
4732e7d8-bfc7-4197-9830-81b685753de1.jpg
74129726-e942-4806-80d9-918e3a69c910.jpg
1ed5ef86-47b2-4067-993b-d0f97f9479a7.jpg
bfca95b4-52ad-434e-b2f7-6d622b977020.jpg
0 Likes
6 Comments
Server
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
There is an XDA thread that was warning all N8 users to stay away from otterbox as the is a problem with the engineering of the corners transferring impact shock to the phone thus cracking the glass. Google the thread there are picture included.
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
I only see the Otterbox Defender case that is causing the issue. I can't seem to find one that states there is an issue with the Commuter case. Otterbox makes 3 different cases for the Note 8.
0 Likes
Server
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
Oh O k. maybe thats the one then
0 Likes
yoyoto
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
wow
0 Likes
RobertZ