Original topic:

Note 8 reset with new SIM card!

(Topic created on: 03-11-2018 08:31 PM)
vitruvius
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note
Has anyone else encountered having your phone reset w all contents erased when a new sim card is inserted?!!!
I think this outrageous.
I bought what I understood to be an unlocked phone and this reset was not anything I was made aware of! Didn't read it in the manual, no one at Bell told me. I lost a lot of data!
Does anyone know if this will happen again when I travel and possibly use a SIM card from another country????
Samsung's "vaunted" customer support told me it was for security reasons! BS! More likely to save money!
0 Likes
10 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
This is unfortunately normal. When you insert a SIM card, it contains the ID of your carrier. The phone will then have to reset itself and load the carrier's CSC, A file customising your phone according to the carrier's criterias, like Voicemail number, APN, VoLTE, WiFi Calling.... But this requires a reset of the phone.

Anyone who ever bought a Samsung at a carrier will notice that on the first boot;, when the seller puts the SIM, the phone says "updating" and reboots. That's the process being done.

However, since you have a Canadian phone, you will not have the CSC from carriers around the world, so you're safe if you put a US, France or Zimbabwe carrier SIM card.
0 Likes
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy Note
I have never had this issue and I switch SIM cards all the time.
But just in case there's any problems I export my contact to my sd card that Way if there is any problems I can just import them back.
RobertZ
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
It happened to me, but only when the phone was new and I inserted a SIM card for the first time. This is expected behavior.

After that, inserting a SIM card from another carrier did not reset the phone.
0 Likes
btrthnvr
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
I'm assuming that's your device security steps taken. For instance I have AVG Pro and it will erase everything if it detects a new SIM card inserted.
0 Likes
NasJiJi
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
I don't see why it would erase your SD card. but maybe you should check if the data was saved on to your cloud. you might still be able to retrieve it
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
May i know your old and nrw carrier.

Multi csc phones do that to change carrier settings mine happened when csc changed from rogers to telus. If carrier settings wouldnt have worked if reset wouldnt have happened. Only phones that don't do this are single csc phones.
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy Note
Hey @CHMultimedia, thanks for your accurate answers!

- Wonchul
Server
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
This is quite disturbing and unfortunate news. If a user moves to a new carrier then forced format? just accomodate a new sim?

almost a deal breaker for me. why not create separate Profiles for every new sim? the phone would boot and detect a new sim and begin extracting relavant carreir setting. sounds very Windows 95ish to me.
0 Likes
vitruvius
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
I've confirmed with the Samsung Store at Yorkdale that this should be a one time thing. Will test and advise if it's not.