Original topic:

Samsung pay MST restriction!

(Topic created on: 03-24-2019 06:40 PM)
ToddMan
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy Note
Hi again Samsung! 

I am very disappointed with Samsung. I love everything Samsung and the Samsung pay but man it's so not consistent and you guys cannot provide accurate information or solution. I want to be card free but I'm stuck carrying my card everywhere as swipe method is still not working. I have provided a video instead of just a photo of the " reading error" .

I am in Canada with snapdragon note 9 and s9+. I know Samsung pay doesn't work at gas station. I know for sure it does work with mst at walmart at 127$ and some random Asian grocery store at 170$. Yet, anything above 200+ doesn't not work! I spoke with my bank and they said they don't hold limit on the purchases. Only the Samsung pay or the terminal. Can you provide me the restriction or limit here? 

So, this terminal is an ingenico isc250. I believe it support mst. I simulate the gesture method at 1-2 inch (2 cm) on the side, then bottom and after the top right edge so it doesn't connect the pin module. Still gives me reading error message or it doesn't detect until I set it closer. How do I fix this, I tried pretty much all method the community suggested.

11 Comments
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy Note
My thoughts are this...
Banks and credits cards always have a limit on them for tap and pay as an example...
I use my debit card for food and the total is under $100 I can use my tap and pay but if its over $100 Then I have to insert my card.
I am not too sure what the limit is for your bank ref tap and pay but CIBC is $100 and my RBC visa is the same...
As for using MST again there will be a limit applied by the credit card company as it boils down to them protecting themselves against fraud..
0 Likes
ToddMan
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
I know tap is 100$. we're taking about swipe. it's suppose to replace the magstripe of the card so if the physical card can pay a 2000$ tv, the mst on my Samsung pay should be able too or at least 200-300$ groceries
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
hmmm.. i think you're swiping it wrong. whenever i use swipe on my samsung pay i just placed it on the gap lines and it works. and i can uses samsung pay on petro gas station too.. I'm not sure if everybody has the same experience like mine. :)
0 Likes
ToddMan
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
if the phone gets close to the insert chip card terminal it will use the pin method instead. I know tap and chip (pin) method works but it's only limited to 100$ purchase. Only the swipe method can make higher purchase than 100$. this is why I use the swipe method or MST. I swipe in another walmart at 127$ and Asian store... but it won't hurt to try it on the middle and I'll get back. can you confirm that you use the swipe at higher than 200$ purchase though and swiping the middle works?
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
this happened to my dad before, and all he had to do was turn on data, because if you're somewhere and your phone is not connected to any Wi-Fi, it does not work and it will not do anything! It's very stupid, but trust me it works.
0 Likes
ToddMan
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
my data turns on automatically when I leave home. I thought Samsung pay doesn't need data to work. it can do 3 transaction before needing to connect to internet to authenticate again. I don't think that's the issue but will definitely check internet access...
0 Likes
MAP
Active Level 7
Galaxy Note
In Walmart ive tried to pu my phone on the front on the card slot and it work, it didn't work on the side
0 Likes
ToddMan
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
Yep, just tried another Asian grocery store at 170$ and it went through second try. tried at another walmart in another city in Ottawa instead of Quebec at 113$ and it failed all 5 times. I look like an idiot telling them " it's Samsung, not an iPhone" when they told me no tap. error message before was " reading error" . this time it's " can't proceed with transaction" ... although, this one seems to pass the authorization screen before failing. whereas in Quebec it doesn't seem to read or authorize. I did manage to pay $120+ at Quebec walmart once though... not fun having to try each walmart for Samsung pay. I look like a fool...

d6a507c4-2f66-41a1-87f4-c59c090857c1.gif
0 Likes
ToddMan
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
could be my credit card company or mastercard. everyone is saying it's someone's else fault.
0 Likes