Original topic:

USB doesn't connect. Note 20 ultra

(Topic created on: 10-18-2020 01:34 PM)
NamW
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note
I've been trying to connect this phone to my car stereo and home stereo through a type c - usb cable.  Specifically to play HD music that is downloaded on the phone. When I try to connect at home the Yamaha receiver acts like nothing is plugged into the USB port. When I try yo plug into the car the screen on the car says "reading USB" and "indexing " flashes. 

The phone shows the following screen . I allow it access but nothing changes.

I try to change "USB controlled by" to connected devices but it says couldn't switch. 

This also means I can't use Android auto. 

Bluetooth works fine for audio streaming but I would like to be able to listen the the higher quality HD version.

Is anyone else having this or similar problem and or does anyone have a solution? 

Thanks in advance. 

16 Comments
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi NamW, Make sure your car stereo is capable to play music through the USB port. Please also check if the stereo is placed in the mode that plays the music files from the device.

PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
@keagan .... a car's USB port can be used for playing music and charging. The phone's HD or external HD must be of a lower storage capacity.... my car recognize a 2GB flash drive but anything too large will not be recognized. Usually playing music through your car when a recognized HD is inserted is automatic or through the mp3 player.
NamW
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Hi Keagan, the car played music through the USB port using my previous phone (blackberry key one), so yes, the port does work for this purpose. The home stereo is in the USB mode but I will check if it requires any other settings changed.
0 Likes
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
Your home stereo also may not recognize a huge capacity HD such as your phone. Blackberry phones use a different OS.
0 Likes
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
I tried this a long time ago.... cars or suv's don't recognize a hard drive or flash disk if it is too large. I once plugged in an external HD into my SUV and it just kept trying to connect for a long time. I transferred music to a 2 GB flash drive and the car recognized it.
Read your car manual an it may reveal the size of usb flash drive that you can connect.
It's best to connect your phone by Bluetooth to your vehicle.
Hope this helps.
NamW
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Note20UltraFan I was able to play the same size file off of my previous phone, BB Key one, through this cars USB. I would like to take advantage of the sound quality that the HD files provide, if I can.
0 Likes
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
blackberry works with a different OS .....
0 Likes
NamW
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Blackberry Key one and two are Android.
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
What was the size of the Blackberry HD?
0 Likes