Original topic:

When will E-Sim work in Canada?

(Topic created on: 10-09-2020 12:21 PM)
Hey_Dad
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note

Just bought a Note 20 Ultra and i love the phone. One of the main reason i purchased this phone we my old Note5 was showing some age. I was really excited about the e-sim function. The last 6 years i have been carrying two phones and to be able to combine my personal and work phone was the main reason i purchased this phone.

After the staff started the process of moving my contents from my old phone to new one and trying to get the e-sim to work and many phone calls later - assuming head office. I was informed Samsung Canada hasn't given the green light to any of the providers to use the e-sim. So even though my phone has all the necessary software and hardwire its simply its a no go until Samsung Canada gives the thumbs up? 

Is there a site i can check to see if this moves forward to enable the function in Canada? 

0 Likes
15 Comments
blitzteh
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
It doesn't make sense to charge the same price as other countries that has the esim function.
0 Likes
Hey_Dad
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note

Why? its the whole reason i bought the phone? I was told the Note 20 ultra e-sim function is supported in the USA and Samsung Canada just needs to give the green light to the providers for Canada. Going by the specs on your link this Canadian version of the Note 20 doesn't even have this option period?!   

if that's the case i need to return this phone today and go with apple i guess?! Been a Samsung user for as long as i can remember. I hate to go with Apple or Google phone that supports this e-sim function.

0 Likes
Halston
Options
Galaxy Note

Hey Hey_Dad,
Please note that the Note 20 Ultra has Single-SIM and one MicroSD slot. The e-SIM option is not available in Canada.
Here is the link for Galaxy Note 20 Specifications: https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-note20/specs/
You can find the Samsung Canada news from the below link:

https://news.samsung.com/ca/

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Why is it not available? The hardware support is already there.
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy Note

It would appear that Samsung thinks Canada isn't good enough to get anything better than what it is now. That's why I'm moving away from Samsung.

DisonLY
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
wait, is that mean the fold 2 doesn't support esim as well?
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi Samsung Members, eSIM availability may vary depending on country and carrier. Currently, Samsung mobile devices don't support ESIM. Only wearables support ESim.

0 Likes
RobertZ
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
ESIM would on iPhones, and they are mobile devices.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Is there any reason why the eSIM is disabled by firmware? All major carriers support eSIM and sell eSIM-enabled phones like iPhones, Pixels and the Motorola Edge+
0 Likes