Original topic:

Windows 10 - Error code: 0x88982F52 when applying tags to image taken from Samsung Note 10+ phone

(Topic created on: 06-08-2020 11:24 AM)
corporatei
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note

When taking photo using Samsung Note 10+ then transferring onto the computer, then from the computer trying to apply tags in the properties, I received this error message:

Error code: 0x88982F52:  There is too much metadata to be written to the bitmap.

0x88982F52 Error Message.JPG

Samsung tag error screenshot.JPG

Some images gives this error message when writing tags, and others seems okay.

Samsung Tags writing problem 2.jpg

The problem appears to be more apparent on images that are taken outdoors.   Less of this problem when taken indoors.  Also tagging videos, whether is taken outside or inside, have no problems.   The GPS location is turned on at all times.

All Computers have this same problem.

https://doc.samsungmobile.com/SM-N975W/XAC/doc.html

This problem happened after the update on Jan 15 2020 or Feb 25 2020.

Build Number : N975WVLS2BTA1
Android version : Q(Android 10)
Release Date : 2020-02-25
Security patch level : 2020-02-01
· The security of your device has been improved.

Build Number : N975WVLS2BSLA
Android version : Q(Android 10)
Release Date : 2020-01-15
Security patch level : 2020-01-01
· The security of your device has been improved.

Both PC and phone device have been hard reset already, and still the problem persists.

Had struggled very hard to communicate to Samsung Support, seems like they have no clue what I am talking about and there is no upper level support to reach out to.

49 Comments
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note

Sounds more like a Microsoft issue than a Samsung issue.

If an operating system doesn't know what to do with metadata, you don't blame the company the put the metadata into the images, you blame the company that doesn't know what to do with it.

0 Likes
Kel212
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
try updating Windows.

also this may sound dumb but restarting the PC can help.
0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

No restarting the computer does not help, and Windows 10 on all computers have been updated to the latest versions.
0 Likes
Kel212
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
that's too bad.
it was worth a try however
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Hi Corporatel, This Windows error pretains to the way your phone is encoding your images that is interfering with how your computer is processing those image files; Windows doesn't read the Comment tag in jpegs. I found this forum that I believe can help you: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=10111.0
0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

I am trying to get in touch with Samsung support because it was after an update of software from the phone I think 1-2 months ago, to the latest Android 10, that it starts showing this problem.  Previously i never had this issue.  

However thanks for the EXIF tool, let me look into this program.

keagan
Options
Galaxy Note
Hi corporatei, Please try the following both ways to add tags to the pictures.
1) Right-click file > Properties > Details tab.
2) In File Explorer turn on the Details pane from the View tab of the ribbon, then edit the tags of the image you want.

If the above steps don't work, I suggest you to please contact the windows support and get the issue fixed.
0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hi Keagan,

Are you the moderator or related to Samsung Support?

I tried to contact Samsung Support and they give this ticket number - 2230916188.

I also told them that this problem occurred after a software update, 1-2 months ago.  And this has not happened before.  I also told them that I did a hard reset, to no avail.

0 Likes
corporatei
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

Hi Kaegan,

I also have went into right click > properties > details, and edit the tag there too in the details tab, and still have this same problem error message.  I highly suspect that the software in the Samsung phone is to blame for this, not Windows 10, because other computers have the same symptoms.  

0 Likes