Original topic:

problems with complete glass phones....

(Topic created on: 03-19-2017 01:07 AM)
timk204
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy Note
i am a current samsung note 5 user. love the phone i have had two of the note series. note 3 and note 5.
not 3 i love because the back of the phone came off an you can take the battery out. plus it had expandable memorie. the note 5 on the other hand lacks these. dont get me wrong i love the note 5. but i dont love that its complete glass. front and back. less then a month of owning the phone. a scratch appeared on the back. i called samsung and was told that because of the scratch it voided my warrenty and it was under my fault. two problems with this. one samsungs fault for making a complete glass phone and two. samsung not putting a temp glass protector on back of the phone... so after finding this out. i asked where could i get my phone fixed. they simply told me a local shop in my city that was certified can do it. i contacted the shop and asked them for a qoute and they told me that it was $170CAD. after finding this out. i was annoyed by this point. its just a back piece of glass with two small holes cut into it and with the samsung name on it. so let alone this shop wants me to pay $170 for the glass. i paid $250 for the phone and an additional $150 to upgrade my contract from my carrier (time left on contract) so with just paying what the company wanted for my phone and the cost of early upgrade, i am at $400CAD. Add the additional $170. and im sitting at almost $600CAD. when the note 5 first came out it was at $700+. so why would i have waited to upgrade and get a deal on my phone (in the first place) if i am already going to have to pay what the phone would have originally cost in the end?. also didnt mention that samsung said that once the back has been replaced. my phone goes back onto my original warrenty. not restart it from replacement date. but when i bought it... there has to be a cheaper option out there! i wouldnt mind paying $50 or $60 to replace it but $170!. no. thats crazy.
whats your guys thoughts on this? samsung? do you have a better option?
please note i did personally put a protector on after the scratch was there. 1d261a11-7924-40f0-a567-d448d69cad71.jpg
0 Likes
14 Comments
Nikkii1990
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
invest in an otter box next time.
0 Likes
MrRogers
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
that is a bullshit excuse from Samsung.. cosmetic scratches shoukd never be allowed to void warrenty
timk204
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
right?. and as for the otterbox none was avail
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy Note
Hey @timk204. Cosmetic damage like this does not void your warranty (you're still covered for everything under our warranty), but cosmetic damage is not covered under our manufacturer warranty.

"This Limited Warranty does not cover: ... (b) scratches, dents and cosmetic damage, unless caused by SAMSUNG;"

Hope this helps. -Nick
0 Likes
timk204
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
hey nick. i was told by two different reps that this does affect my warrenty. and that my phone is screwed until i get it fixed. someone in samsung dont have their ducks in a row. if your telling me one thing and two different reps are telling me another. then there is a problem.
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy Note
Hey @timk204, did the representatives say that the overall warranty for your device was void? Things that are not related to this scratch such as LCD, battery, camera etc. should still be covered. This simply means that the actual scratch will not be covered, but any other issues with the device should be covered.
0 Likes
timk204
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
hey nick. i asked the rep, if it meant that my phone was completly screwed as meaning nothing was covered. they told me yes, you phone is no longer covered because of the scratch. simply because they do not know if the damage from the scratch was what caused it
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy Note
Hey @timk204, sorry about the late response. After talking with our Voice of Customer team, they confirmed that in this case the Reps are correct. Unfortunately the warranty repair approval is at the discretion of our Service Centers. Physical damage of any kind will void your warranty.

What is the actual issue you're having with the phone now? Is it hardware related?
0 Likes
timk204
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
hey nick, not a problem. i just want the scratch to be gone. and my phone to be mint again. but i cant get over the idea of spending $170CAD just for the back glass. when i first got the phone. i didnt use it for about a month because i was waiting for a case to come in to put on it so this sort of thing didnt happen. and well it happend either way. there is no software problems. its just cosmetic. and i dont like the idea of it been there and since now knowing that samsung voided my warrenty over it. makes me worry even more that if something happends to my phone. its screwed and im out of the cost of my phone plus what i have left on my contract and let alone i would have to down grade back to my note 3. and i cant just shell out $170CAD, like its nothing. im not rich nor do i earn a ton of money, and i got kids to pay for. so $170 is alot for me.
0 Likes