Original topic:

Android 10. A new era?

(Topic created on: 12-13-2019 02:45 PM)
mindl
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy S
I've seen a lot of questions asking about when it's coming and how to get it. 

I've also seen many replies by some great members who've provided (with patience) useful information on how to do it, especially member chmultimedia. (Think i got that right).

What i haven't noticed is any images detailing significant changes in appearance or functionality. All the talk appears to be about dark mode and desktop mode, 2 features that Samsung users have been using for the past year with Dex and a quick setting toggle. Sure it is going to be more complete, but hardly anything new or highly anticipated.

By no means am i complaining. I own an Acer laptop that is nearly 11 years old and runs the latest general (Win10 Home) version of its original OS. (Linux as well to make a stronger point). Have we reached a beginning of the end of throw away phones? No. There are still going to be offerings of lower powered devices available such as the super junk Alcatel U50 in the near future.
 We are now at a point where phones such as the S8 are being ignored software support while phones of equal or lesser specs are running newer software simply because of an unwritten, blindly accepted ignorant manufacturer policy of 2 and done support. Some do 3 and there are security updates beyond this time, but for the most part it's safe to say that in 2 years or less, the phone you own is despised by the manufacturer that proudly flaunted it to you.

So here we are. Android 10. Not, "Q," which would suggest a number closer to 17, but i'll give it 10 because it does reflect the major OS changes. Using a number rather than a junk food name is better for a global understanding according to Google. It also unmasks the version and makes it rather simple to point out the total of version upgrades Android is going to be at... or not in the future.

So, in 2 years will we still see 10? I doubt it, but Microsoft, the big bad giant, has let me use my laptop well before Win10 and someone may well be reading this that has no memory of an OS other than Win10.

Will my S10e be running an outdated version of Android in 24 months while Alcatel releases their latest crap at 25% the specs on Android 12?

Sooner or later, the technology may give the misinformed consumer a break. Maybe upgrades will be included in all products we buy for the lifetime of its usability. Until then, your S8+ will make you cringe every time some piece of junk spits out its Android 10 ringtone with some feature you can't have not because of capability, but because it was decided you are worthless before you even bought it.

5 Comments
dejanh
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
We live in a world of disposable everything. That is exactly how the devices we carry are positioned as well. Even the mighty Google, the champion of Android updates thinks that 3 years is plenty for you to own one device and should really move on to something newer right after. Is this necessary? Absolutely not. Sadly, pretty much the only differentiator in this space is Apple. Don't expect any movement towards anything better in this space.
Samesung
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Nope. Apple said it's going start the 3 year support cycle. Their sales numbers are pretty disappointing and they see exactly what Android users are willing to pay, when, and the average purchase cycle...after their 2-3 year subsidized contract is up. Funny how market analytics work. 😉
0 Likes
dejanh
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Interesting. Do you have a reference to this statement? I find it rather unlikely that this will be the case. Right now Apple is supporting everything from 6s to 11 Pro with the latest updates. That's 5 generations of devices, the equivalent of Samsung supporting everything from S6 onwards with the latest OS.
0 Likes
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
I don't. And we're seeing how Samsung has anticipated this by locking the bootloaders starting from the S8, a phone that carries its weight very well. The S7 has a well functioning pie ported ROM and will have Android 10.
Strangely only the North American devices are getting this treatment.
So, i do know about the disposable aspect. This one is forced. Most people won't even try to flash a ROM from a custom recovery and a large number don't even know they have a stock recovery. People are trying and i think the S8 is possible, but why limit us at all when most won't try?
I had a chance to sample the new LG folding phone. The OS was almost Samsung-like and this means that we're going to start seeing the competition finally clue in to what Samsung users are attracted to and it's a well designed gui. Now it's a matter of choosing what model with an unlockable bootloader i like best.
Samesung
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Jeez it's almost like Samsung is a company that makes money. Even Apple is giving up legacy support to be more competitive with Android. Way of the world unfortunately but there's always someone, somewhere who will take a cellphone because they just need something to call/text...usually your friend, coworker, or random that always seems to have a cracked screen 😉
0 Likes