Original topic:

Bought a fake off auction

(Topic created on: 07-14-2019 03:44 PM)
LindaJV
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

I bought a phone from an auction I go to sometimes and it has been giving me such problems I took it into a phone repair shop.  They told me its from Vietnam and its a fake.  I've been looking into it but because its an international phone Samsung Canada can't verify if it is real or not.  I tried to use Google Translate to send an email to the Vietnamese site I was given by Samsung Canada asking if they can check the serial number but I kept getting errors and I can't send it. 

The auction states things are sold as is and I could accept if I bought a lemon but buying something that is not what they told me I was bidding on I am upset over.  I want to go back and complain and try to get my money back but I want as much ammunition as possible when arguing that they sold me a fake.  I was hoping someone here might be able to give me pointers when arguing with the auction.

First it has two IMEI numbers, I did check if it was blacklisted before I bought it.  Sadly I didn't notice the serial number of the phone is '0123456789ABCDEF'.  I installed CPU Z to test the cpu and CPUs 4-7 are stopped, 1-3 stop and start.  I'll post the pics here if anyone knows a bit more about what the readings mean I'd appreciate it.

cpuz 2.pngcpuz 3.pngcpuz.png

I know I'm probably SOL but I can't just sit back and accept being screwed like this.  There is a difference between condition as is and buying something falsely advertised.  The only argument I think they will have is that they didn't know either it was a fake but if they sold a 10 carrat gold necklace as a 24 carrat and the buyer didn't know until they paid for and received the item is it really the buyers fault?  Who is at fault?  If he stands there and tells the audience we are bidding on a Samsung Galaxy S9+ am I wrong to be mad when the item I bid on and won is not what he said it was?

0 Likes
8 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Lol. Model is S9 USA. With "S8 Exynos" (because it's not) motherboard and "S8 North America " (it's not) SD835 SoC with a Mali GPU (SD have Adrenos) and the SoC has 8 unnamed cores at 3GHz?

You bought a knockoff with probably just a MediaTek 6580.

This is illegal. It's not "as is" because the auction wasn't on "Fake S9". The seller has the responsibility to ship what he sold. They didn't know? I don't care. You gave me a fake, give me a real one now.
LindaJV
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Yup.  

0 Likes
LindaJV
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

But am I wrong to think that they are at fault because they said I was bidding on a Samsung and it isn't? 

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Contact the seller. DEMAND to get what you paid for. Don't accept anything but that. If that doesn't work, contact eBay (I assume you bought it on eBay). Leave the seller an awful review (got a knockoff and the seller told me too bad, so sad, I don't care I got your money) .
0 Likes
LindaJV
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

No this is an actual shop/building you go into once a week and they have like 4 auctions going on at once.  So there was a real guy I can look in the eye and say you told me it was this and I got that.  As is refers to condition.  There is another section that deals with like antiques and I've seen them where they'll says 'ok this says this' or 'this looks like a... but...'.   They will say the onus is on you when you are bidding so when they are not sure about something they will tell you.  If he had said 'you are bidding on what is supposed to be a Samsung...' I sure as hell would not have bid on it.  A couple of weeks earlier they sold another one and I haven't heard any complaints about that one.  It went for 100 bucks more and I lost out on it... wish I had coughed up the extra dough and bought that one lol.

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
You are not wrong at all. You were bidding on product X. You won product X. You bought product X. They give you product Y. That's wrong. They are wrong. They are at fault.
0 Likes
snooksnake
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
good luck getting you're money there are. so many Samsung knock offs it's unreal to keep track of what is good anymore that's why I stopped buying.
0 Likes
pannie
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S
this is too extreme for me I am not working and I deal with hospital and I am old and this thing keep telling to pay less than 30 days
0 Likes