Original topic:

Call & Text Display Shows Wrong Name on my Samsung S7 ... HELP!

(Topic created on: 06-23-2017 05:21 PM)
Teddy1
Beginner Level 4
Options
Galaxy S
Hi Samsung Community!

I have a Samsung S7 phone. I am having an issue with my Call & Text Displays showing an incorrect name. Instead of showing my name as "Ted" along with my last name, it is showing as "Danielle T". Needless to say this is embarrasing, particularly when chatting with new individuals who are wondering why "Danielle" is showing instead of "Ted" and I have to spend time explaining. I don't even know a "Danielle"! It seems that this also only happens between a Samsung to Samsung call or text, and not other Android or iPhones.

We have connected with Koodo's Techical Department who advised the issue is not with their Network or back-end. We contacted Samsung's Customer Service Centre who advised us to take the phone to a local Authorized Samsung Service Centre for them to take a look at. We contacted a local Service Centre who advised that this problem is a Network problem and not a Harware problem. They also suggested it may be the SIM card and to replace it. We replaced the SIM card and the problem still persists! I was advised that the next step is to have the phone Factory Reset. I prefer not to have my phone Factory Reset that may create another issue. I am no technical expert, but the Name appearing on a Call or Text ID is originating through the Network, not the hardware on the Samsung phone.

We have spent numerous hours on the phone with Koodo Technical Support and at the Koodo Kiosk trying to get the problem fixed with no success. Has anyone had a similar issue? If so, how was it corrected? Please help! Any advice is appreciated.2defa7be-6604-4ec7-b7c3-7286fb93e5d3.png
8ebf6209-3644-4bfb-b6a8-4e4c8714cbc6.jpeg
0 Likes
8 Comments
Galaxy S
Is your name on the call and text display entered into your phone correctly? Did they enter your name correctly into their contacts list? Another suggestion may be to delete the contact on your end, re-enter it, save it and suggest to them to delete the contact, re-enter it and save it. Best of Luck getting this issue solved.
DraculaAdil
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
check your phone's caller I'd it might be changed to check go to phone app hit setting, more settings other than that change you phone name that might help
SteveP007
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
samsung s7 and s7 edge are just crap.
0 Likes
Tofu
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
I'm 90% sure this is a carrier issue since I faced this problem on rogers network when I was using my old Sony Ericsson phones. Back in the day carriers used to attach a phone number to a account holders name when caller ID was a relatively new thing. When a call is placed, it checks the network database to see if there is a name associated with the phone number. These phone number / id listings are managed by either bell, rogers, or telus (or their subsidiary brands). Attaching a name to a phone number is a relatively uncommon practice now and you need to contact the provider that set the original listing. When phone numbers are ported from one company to another (Ie rogers -> koodo) then abandoned, you would usually need to jump through hoops to get this changed. Long story short, when you call someone who doesnt have your number, it refers to the saved contacts for that phone number. If a saved contact does not exist in the recipients phone it looks to the network list.
Tofu
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Tldr, easiest solution to your problem is to change your phone number, or change your calling settings to always hide phone number (you appear as Unknown number to recipients) . If you have some attachment to that phone number, you need to resolve it with your carrier and have them update the public listing. A quick google search of your number shows me that it was previously associated with a business which may lead to alot of spam calls
Teddy1
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S
Hi Samsung Community...!

Thank you for your replies and suggestions, it is appreciated.

I also wanted to share with the Samsung Community that the other options provided to me by Koodo last week to try and remedy my issue were:

(1) To have my number permanently show "Private Number" on any Caller & Text ID.

This is not an option as I want my Name to be associated to my number and show on any individual or business's Caller & Text ID. Perhaps if I was in a "Witness Protection Program" that may be a solution, but I am not! If I was to opt for this option, it would still not remedy my original issue if I no longer wanted "Private Number" to display and only masks the problem.

(2) Assign me a new cell phone number.

I have had my Koodo cell phone number for many years. This is also not an option as then I would be tasked with letting all my Personal and Professional Contacts know that I have changed my number. This would take time to let everyone know along with being inconvenient.
0 Likes
Teddy1
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S
I sincerely appreciate everyone's help in offering their expertise to assist me in trying to remedy my situation.

Should the Samsung Community have any other ideas and suggestions, I would welcome them to try and resolve this issue.

In the interim, a Koodo Corporate Team Member has connected with me to advise that based on my description of the incident it is most likely a Network issue as "Danielle" was the former owner of my number with Koodo under an old CDMA Profile, if that technical acronym means anything to you. I will keep the Samsung Community advised of the outcome in the event that another Samsung User experiences a similar situation in the future to help them resolve the issue.
0 Likes
acheney1990
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Yeah definitely sounds like a carrier issue. Hope they've got it resolved for you.
0 Likes