Original topic:

Edge Lighting Notifications don't work

(Topic created on: 04-18-2020 03:35 PM)
SegFault
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

Hi,

I have edge lighting setup and it works with WhatsApp but not with any of the other apps its setup to work with. I have "Show Edge Lighting" set to always and I have the settings for all apps in question (GMail, Google Messages, MS Authenticator) set to not optimized in "Optimize Battery Usage". I am running Edge Lighting plus with custom colours set for each app in the settings. I also have the latest Android 10 installed and fully patched on an S20+.

Could Samsung please address this issue because its one that a lot of people persistently complain about and is essential to phone usage. What use is a communications device which is unable to notify you of an inbound message? It's an expensive device and I am hard-pressed to say I won't be buying another Samsung device in the future.

0 Likes
17 Comments
sully
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
I'm assuming this setting has been enabled to select the apps for edge lighting. Also making sure that each app is allowed to receive notifications.
0 Likes
SegFault
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Thanks, yes all these setting are toggled and the applications are able to receive notifications. Notification banners and icons do appear on the lock screen and AOD for all the applications in question yet the edge lighting does not work for any of them.

0 Likes
sully
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Also kind of childish of you to not buy another Samsung because you can't get one feature to work
0 Likes
SegFault
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Notifications of communications such as an SMS or email not appearing or falling to trigger a notification mechanism is a major failure. The device should be able to get my attention, either by powering on the display to show the notification banner or by displaying the edge lighting. I should be able to leave the phone in silent and not need to have the vibrate function enabled for the device to try and get my attention.

As a consumer, your purchasing power is how you put your faith behind a product and company. It's infantile to behave like a fan boy.

0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hey @ Samsung_QBwzryG

If you are facing issues with the particular app then please check with the below steps.
Open Settings >> Display >> Edge Screen >> Edge Lighting(Toggled on) >> Show Edge lighting >> choose application(select app and toggle on for which application you want edge lighting)

Note: Some notifications may not display as the edge lighting depending on notification
types.

0 Likes
SegFault
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Thanks, yes these settings are enabled. For instance, Google GMail displays notification banners on the lock screen, in the notification drawer and the icon appears on the AOD - Edge Lighting does not trigger on an inbound email.

[GMail]:

Permission settings:

Allowed: Calendar, Contacts.

Denied: Camera, Mic, Storage, Phone.

Notification settings:

Allowed: all toggled on.

[Google Messages]:

Permission settings:

Allowed: all

Notification settings:

Allowed: all

0 Likes
SegFault
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Thanks, but this app is unverified by Google and untrust worthy. I shouldn't need to install a **bleep** to get a stock Samsung Android 10 feature to work.

0 Likes
sully
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Oops, sorry. I didn't watch the whole video. Didn't realize you have to install a third part app. Lemme search for a real solution.
0 Likes
sully
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Is show edge lighting set to always?
0 Likes