Original topic:

Faulty Fingerprint Scanner

(Topic created on: 07-03-2017 01:13 PM)
sentone
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
I want to share another problem that is happening with my Galaxy s8.

Since the first day I purchased my phone, I had problems with the faulty fingerprint scanner.

At first, it was only happening when I was making use of the gesture function. After a few minutes of usage the phone stopped recognizing the fingerprint sensor like if it was turned off, only returning after the rebooting the device.
I read about other users saying that only after the function is turned off that this problem stops.

However, for the past month the fingerprint scanner stop working all the time, even with the gesture function turned off. The error pattern is different, now what is happening is that when I try to unlock my screen the fingerprint does not respond to my fingers, like the sensor was turned off (again). The temporary solution that I found was to unlock using the Iris or the pattern and lock the phone again. it seems that only after unlocking with the other methods that the sensor is turned on. It works for a few unlocks and then it is turned off again.

I cannot use the diagnosis tool to identify the problem because the fingerprint scanner is turned off when the screen is locked and only after using the other methods that it goes back, so when I run the diagnosis it shows that the sensor is OK, even though it isn't.

might be a faulty hardware or software problem, either way this is a really annoying problem.

6 Comments
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Since you can register your fingerprints, I personally think it's just a software issue.
Go to apps in settings.
Tap Three dots on top right corner
Select Show system apps
Look for fingerprint.
Clear data and cache in storage.
Restart your phone.
This will reset software to default and and delete your registered fingerprints.
See if this works. If not go to local samsung store to get it checked in person. You can also contact them over phone or email.
0 Likes
sentone
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
thanks but I tried that, I also thought that it might be a problem recognizing my registered fingerprints, but the problem is that the sensor seems to turn itself off, when I tap my finger I doesn't​ do anything.

after unlocking with a secondary method I ran the diagnosis and the sensor is ok, so what is happening is that from time to time it turn itself off while locked.
0 Likes
sentone
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Samsung support doesn't work either, I had problem trying to log in into the Canadian website and no one from.the departments helped me..

Also, my earbuds estates to malfunction and they also didn't helped me.

I can't find a Samsung store here in Toronto, I know that they will open one on Eaton center but not sure about waiting until only to see if they can help me.
bino1
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S
I am having the exact same issue
tdso
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
there is a Samsung store in Yorkdale Mall if you are still looking for one
jadsnca
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I am having the same issue