Original topic:

Galaxy S9/S9+ specific feature - Home-screen icon overlay's

(Topic created on: 05-23-2018 01:54 PM)
Vath
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
Hello all,

I discovered yesterday while shopping for a new phone that this model of the galaxy is equipped with a non-optional overlay on it's home-screen shortcuts. When using a browser (Samsung internet/Google chrome) to create a shortcut to your home-screen, the S9&+ overlay the shortcut with which browser you choose to use.

This feature was not included in the S8+ and previous models, and I was hoping it could be turned off in a setting somewhere on the newer model.

Both live chat and phone support were unable to direct me to a solution, and so I've emailed Samsung support, and have created this thread in case one of our community member's knows a trick. I've looked through the normal settings and developer options and have had no luck.

I would like to AVOID having to root/download new themes for icons to find an alternative to this 'issue' I have. The preferred solution is to include an option to turn said overlay off in one of the phone's new build. If I can get confirmation of this happening, I'll go out to buy the phone today.
0 Likes
8 Comments
Galaxy S
Well regardless of any "features" You'll never get full Root - Custom Recovery etc on any Samsung device with a Locked Bootloader - So you should consider this when making your decision 🐧
0 Likes
Vath
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I'm glad to hear that, I have no experience rooting anything. I hope my solution is found in a reply from the Samsung team. I imagine Android is likely involved in this change rather than Samsung themselves. I'd hate to have to be the middle man between the two teams though.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
@Vath Well I'm not 100% sure exactly what you are referring to by "non optional overlay"? You don't have to use Samsung's Lane - There's a number of other options - My personal preference has always been Nova Launcher - whether or not I'm running a Rooted device 🐧
Vath
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
The tiny browser icon that sits in the bottom right of your phone's homescreen shortcut. It overlays the site's icon and covers it.

I haven't considered running a different home-screen from the app-store like the Nova Launcher app, so thank you for giving me a possible alternative!

Are you able to switch between Samsung Lane and Nova Launcher without too much hassle? Or is it more similar to a phone wipe?
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Samsung "Lane"?
You can switch between Nova Launcher & Samsung Experience Launcher (or any other compatible launcher) in a couple of clicks 🐧
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy S
Hey @Vath, would you be able to provide a screenshot or picture of the issue please? From our test devices, the icon that is created to the home screen shows the page's icon as whole with small browser icon on the bottom right corner. Thanks!

- Wonchul
0 Likes
Vath
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
@Wonchul The issue is as you've described. The small browser icon in the bottom right corner of shortcuts doesn't seem to have an option to hide/disable it. I've tried a few different home screen launchers but I believe the feature is part of Android Oreo (As I've seen it on Google phones as well).

The S8+ didn't have this feature. Can you give us the option to disable/hide the overlay to properly see the entire shortcut image?
0 Likes
Drskqc
Active Level 5
Galaxy S

it is more complicated than this

0 Likes