Original topic:

I made a discovery!

(Topic created on: 11-15-2018 03:00 PM)
CHMx
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Hello again! This is CHM, using a new account I made to join the US Beta. Or so I thought. No matter what I did, I could not join the beta. Bummer. Anyway there is still flashing!

Speaking of, I learned that I can flash CSC without wiping. I have flashed the whole US package and my phone data was still intact. Now I flashed CP and CSC from Canada and I got back VoLTE (and the missing data buttons!) while preserving my data.
41e5d73d-59ae-4559-982c-2573d3807acf.jpg

So you can clearly see I am on my RWC CSC, with the Baseband version from Canada and the OS from USA.

This does mean a lot. There is quite a lot of contradictions about the beta coming to Canada, but at least you know that you will be able to flash AP and BL to get the beta while enjoying your carrier features. (I hated not having VoLTE and slower speeds).
Or at least you can flash updates from the US if you feel those from Canada are slow (TMB is on BRJ6, November SMR. Canada update ARJ6 is coming soon though).

Also I can uninstall bloat. I could uninstall Samsung Pay. Yay!

I will disconnect from this account to claim back my real one and edit the Updates page. At least I am not letting people down due to "can't be bothered circumstances" like a red carrier did.
7 Comments
CHMx
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I can uninstall some system apps like the Microsoft suite, SmartThings, Samsung Members (but I am not a monster!), Samsung Notes, Bixby, S Health and even Calculator if you hate math.361c80cd-ca5f-4db5-882e-adf69a847126.jpg
64e97d60-6f43-40ef-a849-f2a0435de60b.jpg
660c9dd8-0a49-4096-80ee-61fcd4e2b965.jpg
d5632265-af32-4053-9691-1a44ceb57b6c.jpg
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Normally if you Flash HOME_CSC you don't wipe data - I didn't read your post thoroughly - But that's how it's usually done 🐧
You stealthy member lol 😂 🐧
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
If I flash HOME_CSC when using a cross-Multi_CSC firmware, the device softbricks (and it did lol). I flashed again with CSC and it just went through like a breeze. This happened when I tried to flash the whole G960U package. And when I tried to flash T-Mobile firmware (BRJ5) I went straight to CSC and my data was safe and sound. And with this partial flash it was too.

Don't ask me why it didn't wipe though, I can't answer that.

Can't answer why I can now completely uninstall some system apps and some not.

(DÉSINSTALLER = UNINSTALL)
0 Likes
Galaxy S
I guess that it's probably because you're Flashing US Firmware (or vice versa) on a Canadian device - The main thing is that your device is safe & sound 👍🐧
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
This is a plausible explanation since US Firmware have another file called USERDATA, which I did not flash. This requires additional experimentation.
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
I went through all this experimentation. Nothing worked for me last year when I was trying for Android oreo. Best option to get into beta program is to wait for XDA to come up with beta firmware. Last year when 3rd beta update was released, there was a firmware on XDA that I could flash to get oreo on my phone.
When bixby came out for US and Korea only, flashing US firmware activated bixby on my Canadian phone and that's the only success I had for flashing US firmware.
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
One other way I could not try getting into beta is by using T-MOBILE Sim card for getting update.