Original topic:

Installed S10 screen protector allows fingerprint breach

(Topic created on: 10-14-2019 05:41 PM)
blitzteh
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
Saw this article by The Sun:

I'm just confused how that is even possible. I have a Zagg Invincible Shield screen protector installed on my S10 and it does not do that. 
2 Comments
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
The Zagg is tempered glass. The one in the video is silicone/gel.

Regardless, Samsung's statement that you should only use Samsung accessories is incredibly stupid, as it ignores the fact that someone could simply put the case/protector shown in the video on someone's S10 and the job would be done. It's still a blatant flaw with the ultrasonic sensor (apparently).
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
They mention they did the fingerprint registration after the gel application. I want to know what would happen if they took a proper fingerprint scan before it. Cleaned the glass, apply the gel and then try unlocking. I bet you it wouldn't work.

Regardless there's plenty variables that need to be considered. I don't think applying the gel screen on a pre-registered fingerprint will work (especially if the glass is cleaned and no remnant trace of a fingerprint). However, if the glass was not cleaned and there was a trace of a fingerprint on the scanner, I can see it being a possibility as the gel will somehow preserve it and maybe fool the fingerprint scanner.

Overall, I think it didn't take a proper scan of the fingerprint in the first place resulting in this happening. The gel probably obscured the scanner from taking a proper image of the fingerprint.
0 Likes