Original topic:

LTE & WCDMA/GSM Issue - got a new SIM

(Topic created on: 03-04-2020 06:01 AM)
Pupusik
Active Level 7
Options
Galaxy S
I need a bit of enlightenment. 
My S9+ is set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM as default and auto connect.
It works awesome where ever I can get the LTE service.
I am with FREEDOM MOBLE.
Living in the Toronto area.

Here is my issue.
When there is is no LTE service my data does not work !
I manually select WCDMA/GSM (that is also set to auto connect) and I get my data working at a reasonable speed.

Should my phone be switching automatically ? Is this a carrier issue ?

My phone was purchased from a Samsung Store in Toronto,  not from FREEDOM.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you may have.  😃

7 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
When there is no LTE service, is there still the LTE icon but just with zero bars?

View solution in context

Solution
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Freedom is a pretty small network (Shaw) I'm guessing what's happening is you don't have roaming on and when you jump out of the network it doesn't switch do to that.

I would really watch data use with freedom my friend got screwed over for outside data usage with them.

View solution in context

Solution
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Do you have outside data for freedom? Or just thier network? If I remember right freedom doesn't share towers in the same manner as Telus, bell, Rogers for data.

It could be that your outside of their network and it disable data to stop you from getting charged if you don't have outside data with freedom. Can you still make phone calls when this happens?

View solution in context

Solution
Galaxy S
Certain areas it just doesnt work, I am as well with Freedom mobile.
ill Bookmark this! im not in T.o thought they had better reception or range their?
Thanks again also are you geared up for March 9th? Im so unsure? someone said; i dunno? but dont ask to go back to the original patch pie 1 lol!
Instead of pie 2... Anyways its always good to have update! ill wait... See reviews!
Have a good day! Pupusik!

View solution in context

Solution
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Please contact the carrier once and let us know what is the resolution they have provided?

View solution in context

Solution
Galaxy S
Forget about testing the SIM - Your Carrier should just give you a new SIM card & at no charge! Even Rogers will provide a new SIM card at no cost.

View solution in context

Solution
Galaxy S
Rt on Shaggyskunk1! and Thanks Pupusik, ill have to check too!
👍👍✌✌🤟🤟🌟🌟🦋🇨🇦🦋

View solution in context

19 Comments
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
When there is no LTE service, is there still the LTE icon but just with zero bars?
Pupusik
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Hi @chmultimedia when there is no LTE service there is no LTE icon, just some bars. I am pretty sure there ARE bars but no icon.
Solution
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Freedom is a pretty small network (Shaw) I'm guessing what's happening is you don't have roaming on and when you jump out of the network it doesn't switch do to that.

I would really watch data use with freedom my friend got screwed over for outside data usage with them.
Pupusik
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Hey @vape I do have data roaming on.
Pupusik
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
IMO - I can get SOME service if I force it manually.

There is one location where I have the LTE dead spot. It is right by my daughters school in a parking lot. The whole dang lot is a LTE dead zone. Once out of the lot, LTE is is fine. When sitting in the parking lot I manually switch over to non LTE and I get my data. This challenge occurs in other locations as well, but the school situation I face every day. Strange.
Solution
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Do you have outside data for freedom? Or just thier network? If I remember right freedom doesn't share towers in the same manner as Telus, bell, Rogers for data.

It could be that your outside of their network and it disable data to stop you from getting charged if you don't have outside data with freedom. Can you still make phone calls when this happens?
Pupusik
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
@vape yes. calls are fine. just do t want to call FREEDOM as I suspect it will be a long call and no resolution 😖
Pupusik
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
I dont have an issue with roaming data. just the LTE.
I have my Networks Operator set to automatic.
When travelling abroad I dont have any issues.
just locally when my phone cant pickup LTE.

Any App that may help out with the sensing and switching ?
Solution
Galaxy S
Certain areas it just doesnt work, I am as well with Freedom mobile.
ill Bookmark this! im not in T.o thought they had better reception or range their?
Thanks again also are you geared up for March 9th? Im so unsure? someone said; i dunno? but dont ask to go back to the original patch pie 1 lol!
Instead of pie 2... Anyways its always good to have update! ill wait... See reviews!
Have a good day! Pupusik!