Original topic:

Lack of eSim for the S20FE

(Topic created on: 10-18-2020 12:51 PM)
Samsung_1tawRk2
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

Does anyone know if Samsung will eventually enable the eSim in the S20FE or did I just by a barely better than my old Samsung for no reason? I needed a dual sim phone and thought that this would be the best choice, **bleep** fine print! It's a great phone but I am unfortunately stuck carrying two phones.

0 Likes
4 Comments
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hi Samsung_1tawRk2, The S20 FE doesn't support eSIM.

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Snapdragon models don't seem to have eSIM support at all worldwide, contrary to my prior belief. I've seen a few occurrences where officials have claimed to be waiting for a software update or a fix by Qualcomm. It's weird that other models from other companies can have eSIM, but I suppose something doesn't play nice with Samsung's software and the Snapdragon implementation.
The hardware support is definitely there. The software needs to be fixed first. If that weren't the case, the HK model wouldn't be a hybrid-SIM model, and the Korean model would be Dual-SIM
So, no, it's not due to an arbitrary decision.
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hi CHMultimedia, 

Could you please provide us with the source of this information. As per our sources, Galaxy S20 FE doesn’t support the eSIM so you cannot also use the relevant features of eSIM. Please note that Samsung is committed to providing the best possible mobile experience to customers. 

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
The official press release for the S20 FE announcement says this:
"* Use of eSIM on Galaxy device may be enabled by software update or disabled in some markets where it is purchased. Availability of eSIM mobile plan may vary depending on carrier."
Multiple users online also reported successfully using the eSIM in their S20 FE.
Finally, the CSC in the firmware of the device has a string that enables/disables eSIM.
0 Likes