Original topic:

November update 2019 battery issue

(Topic created on: 11-29-2019 04:54 AM)
krobinson384
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

After the November 2019 software update my Samsung Galaxy S9 batter started using battery power at an exponential rate. I powered off my phone and charged it to 100%.  My S9 still had the same issue.  I left the phone powered on over night while still plugged in and when I woke the next morning my S9 was completely dead.  I haven't been able to power on since.  Before this update my S9 worked fine.  I would typically have 50% battery life at the end of the day with moderate use.  Anyone else have this issue?

0 Likes
18 Comments
Galaxy S
It's extremely unlikely that any OTA would cause this issue - It's far more likely to be a Battery issue.

Have you tried to charge your S9 without trying to power it up? If you don't see any charging information on the screen with the device powered off - It's most likely to be a battery or other hardware issue..

You could try Booting into Safe Mode or Recovery & Wipe Cache / Factory Reset - But only try to Factory Reset if you have at least 40% Battery...

BUT I suspect that it's a hardware / battery issue - There's been no reports of anyone else having this problem... 🐧
krobinson384
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I completely disagree with you.  I had no issues until I did the update.  If you search the US page there are several users with the same issue. 

0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S

Follow Shaggyskunk's recommendation of wiping your system cache.   This should resolve your issue.   Also note that it could take a few recharge cycles for the OS to balance out the battery usage after any OS updates/Security Patches.

0 Likes
krobinson384
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Thanks for the suggestion but my phone is completely bricked now.  The phone will not even charge now.

0 Likes
krobinson384
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Thanks for the info. My phone seems OK now.

0 Likes
Galaxy S
lol - Guess that the OTA didn't "brick" his device.... Just Sayin' - Wondering if he discovered that it was a 3rd party app causing the problem.... 🐧
Galaxy S
You can disagree with me until the cows come home - There's no way that a Security Patch OTA is going to kill the Battery in the way you described - If there's anyone on the US Samsung Members site with a similar issue - I'd make exactly the same comments... bottom line - Disagree all you want - or follow my advice 🐧

If you think that your device is "bricked" - Visit a Samsung Service Centre - But it's likely to be a hardware / battery issue & COMPLETELY unrelated to the OTA...
krobinson384
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Fact still remains, Software Update = Bricked Phone.

0 Likes
Ray1
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S

Did you check that it is not just your charging cable or charging block that is defective by using a different one to charge??

0 Likes