Original topic:

RCS between carriers and phones.

(Topic created on: 12-24-2019 06:35 AM)
stmax
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
I had a chance at a family gathering to help family members with their phones. 4 of us had samsung two on Roger's two I don't know. I flipped between using samsung stock messages and google messages on all phones. all phones had the chat features options configurabilty on both apps. 

No matter what I did two phones could "see"eachother with dark blue bubble and another two could see eachother but all four could not see eachother. This was with any combo of the apps.

Any idea why all 4 could not "just work" with eachother.
0 Likes
9 Comments
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S

One thing I would suggest with any troubleshooting is to restart all devices.   Since you know 2 were on rogers, were those two able to see the activity?  Could be communication issues between carriers also.

Hard to tell since this technology is still kinda new to the carriers and android.   You'd have to reach out to the carriers also to see if they can determine if the connectivity is there.

0 Likes
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Is it possible that you guys are roaming on a different network?

You could also try putting them all on the same WiFi and that might work but I don't know for sure.
0 Likes
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy S
RCS only works on LTE.. it won't work on wi-fi at least for Bell devices
0 Likes
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Works both ways with Rogers.
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S

Works for both on Koodo... But I'm also not using the Samsung one.

0 Likes
Joce1
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Telus and Koodo are "NOT" working. This app Will be ready somewhere in 2020
0 Likes
stmax
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Thanks everyone. We were all on the wifi at the house. Maybe that had something to do with it. we were all on home plans as well (no roaming). I had restarted two phones that wouldn't communicate with each other and that didn't work. there were also 4 different phones involved. An S9, S9+, A8 and S10. the s9 and s9+ worked with each other. the a8 and s10 worked with each other. the s9 and s9+ are Roger's. The A8 is Virgin and I'm not sure still what the S10 is.

For full disclosure the S9 and S9+ are mine and my wife's. We use RCS between us. I used the opportunity yesterday to figure out why it seems RCS doesnt "just work" with all my other android contacts. I figured if I could just show them how to activate it then it would work. However the other two phones were already activated so not sure now.

edit: found out the other phone is on bell. so the two Roger's phones work with each other and the virgin and bell ones work together. I thought RCS was supposed to unify texting amongst android?
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S

yes, it's supposed to work across the carriers.  But that depends I guess if they carriers want to play along with one another...i mean they fix the prices together, why not fix RCS together.

0 Likes
vape
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Probably in due time. RCs is pretty new so I'm sure it's going to take a year to get all the bugs worked out.
0 Likes