Original topic:

Rogers Oreo 8.0 Update S8/S8+ March 19th

(Topic created on: 03-16-2018 11:52 AM)
shaggyskunk
Active Level 7
Options
Galaxy S
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/OS-Upgrades/OS-Upgrade-Schedule/td-p/354931
7 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
And the S7 duo gets patched on Match 21th. But explain why the A5 gets it first....
0 Likes
shaggyskunk
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
I can't explain any of the thinking behind any of this... I did see what some might call a cynical explanation for why mysteriously the Oreo Update for the S8/S8+ just happens to be about 3 days after the official release of the S9/S9+....
I'm also somewhat surprised that Rogers is pushing the Oreo Update on the 19th of March... This tells me that Samsung had released Oreo to the Canadian Carriers some time ago - Yet there was no sign of Samsung having done so - other than the "we're working hard on it..."
I'm getting the S9+ and keeping my S8+ but I'm going to sell/trade my S7 (screen is just too small for my eyes) On a positive note for the S8/S8+ it's going to be part of Project Treble so hopefully the really long lag between OS updates from Google will be dramatically shorter (I've never given thought to getting something other than Samsung simply because their hardware is far superior to the others - But it is very annoying to wait so long for OS updates Especially since I've been running Oreo 8.1 on my Rooted S7 since around the end of December!!).
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
I think rogers and fido are same update channel so if you follow rogers than you should get info for fido as well.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
The S8 is not on Treble. Sorry. You maybe meant S9/S9+.

And yes, delaying the update for the S8 was a very unfortunate move. I mean, obvoiusly the FW was ready, it passed certification, so this is very, very disappointing.

And I don't know but it looks like S6 support was maybe dropped? No signs of the March patch.
0 Likes
shaggyskunk
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Yeah I see that although the S8/S8+ was believed to be getting the benefit of Project Treble - It was revealed when the Official version were released in Germany that Treble was not included.....The last time that I checked on Sammobile was before Germany received Oreo - It doesn't mean that the S8 series will never get Treble - Just now not too likely 😒
Possibly a Marketing strategy to get people with no obvious reasons to jump from the S8 to the S9 series enough of a push to buy...
RichMan1
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
I also hope S8/S8+ gets in on Project Treble, or I'll be really disappointed. Thanks for sharing the update btw.
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy S
Hey @shaggyskunk! Thanks a lot for sharing with us!

- Wonchul
0 Likes