Highlighted
nickthaskater
Active Level 3

UPDATE: So, I've narrowed it down to a bug with Developer Options being enabled. Upon disabling Developer Options and rebooting, the fingerprint option in biometrics reappeared and all of my previously stored fingerprints were still intact. 

I'm not sure what Developer Options has to do with the fingerprint sensor, but it's definitely related to this issue. How Developer Options is apparently "killing" the sensor by cutting the voltage to it, rendering it unresponsive, I have no idea. Samsung: the ball is in your court now to debug and figure out what's going on!

============

I feel like this may be related to updates I installed, so I'm curious if anyone else is going through this, too.

• S10 Plus 128GB SM-G975W (with Fido in Canada).
  • Build: G975WVLS1ASD9

This is my second Plus in two weeks, first exchanged for the same problem. That device was also fully updated.

Literally the same "failures" as my last Plus.

I have auto restart turned on so the phone restarts itself twice a week overnight while laying at my bedside. It worked fine when I went to bed, but when I woke up and unlocked it after it had restarted, the in display scanner no longer worked.

Surely the hardware hasn't simply spontaneously failed yet again, and it is just one of the recent updates that broke it... Thoughts/experiences?

11 Comments
Habsfan
Active Level 10
I've had no issue with my S10+
this weekend though I used Odin and re installed the Roger's latest update (the one end of may) and it seems that my fingerprint scanner is even faster than it was previous!
nickthaskater
Active Level 3

Where did you download the firmware from? I'm always concerned about getting firmware from outside sources.

mytech
Active Level 7
Wait, what? It can do this by itself? 🤷‍♂️
nickthaskater
Active Level 3

The "failure" automatically removes all of my fingerprint biometrics on its own - they're no longer shown in the biometrics options menu. 

When I click the option to add new fingerprints, that's where I get the "not responding" message shown in the OP.

On this second device, I wiped the cache before and after the updates. I have also tried wiping it since the issue appeared. The issue persists.

Shaggyskunk1
Expert Level 5
Well - You COULD always Factory Reset from Recovery - Backup your device with Smart Switch BEFORE you Factory Reset 😉
You can download the Stock Samsung Firmware from sammobile.com (takes forever) or I use an app called Frija - You can get it from XDA here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s9/how-to/tool-frija-samsung-firmware-downloader-t3910584

Once you download the app to your computer & install it - Run it as Administrator - It's very fast & extremely SAFE!

You need to Flash the tar files with Odin 3.13.13 which you can download from sammobile.com - Odin is an Official Samsung Tool!

let me know if you need any help 🐧

But your issue is really strange....
nickthaskater
Active Level 3

I appreciate the reply; however, Frija can't locate firmware for my version it seems, despite the model number and CSC being input. 

As for the factory reset, I did that with my first Plus and it worked for maybe a day or so before the fault returned. I'm not inclined to go through all of that again if I can just exchange it with my carrier.

nickthaskater
Active Level 3

Really? This is what I see:

frija.png

Shaggyskunk1
Expert Level 5
Are you running the app as Administrator? And you (I'm sure that you did - but have to ask) click on Check Update?

I literally just turned my laptop on - Opened Frija as Administrator - Clicked on Check Update & Presto it's there

Open Frija as Administrator & Click on the Three Dot Menu Top Right - And Click on About - What's the version number of Frija? Should be version 1.3.0.0
nickthaskater
Active Level 3

I am and I did. Phone was even connected to the PC, too. This phone is just cursed, lol. 

I just got off the phone with my carrier - replacement on the way. Hopefully third time's the charm as I love the 10+ otherwise!