Original topic:

S10 Screen Protector Disappointment

(Topic created on: 04-11-2019 10:45 AM)
joeavery
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

Hello Folks,

Let me start by saying as beautiful, responsive and functional as the s10 is (and it is!) my experience is ruined by the plastic film screen protector.

I have had my S10 for 22 days and the pre-installed protector has some scrapes on it.

THis is my 4th samsung S-series phone and I have always put it in case with a glass screen protector on day 1. At the end of every contract, those phones have all been in near-mint condition.

I was disappointed to discover that Telus didn't carry glass protectors...they informed me that because of the fignerprint scanner that glass might not work.

When I noticed the scratches this morning, I went back to Telus and they said they don't have replacement protectors and I should contact Samsung directly.  I had a long online chat with support who said there is no warranty on the scratched protector and they would offer nothing further. The agent even went so far as to suggest that the film saved the screen... no... there's no way Corning's Gorilla Glass 6 would have gotten scraped going into and out of a pocket in 3 weeks.

So...they pre-install a plastic, flimsy, essentially worthless screen protector. The quote from the Samsung agent in the saved covnersation I have was "We cannot guarantee the experience with screen protectors made of glass and polyuerthane materials." No will they guarantee the screen protector they've pre-installed without my request that actually detracts from the experience of an otherwise great product. W're talking about a...what? $5 screen protector from a cost perspective?

I would rather give up the fingerprint scanner to protect my phone's screen.

No effort was made my Samsung to help alleviate this problem, to send a one-time replacement, to do anything but say "your warranty doesn't cover the screen protector".

I will be sure to repost this on Facebook and mention to all of my clients and friends.

A word of advice to the community: wait.... do not buy an S10 until a better solution for protection is available.

0 Likes
12 Comments
thebigguy86
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
bro you got a free vinyl protector, they could have said sorry guys buy your own
joeavery
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

LOL.... not really... they could have said sorry guys buy your own if they had designed the fingerprint sensor to work behind another protector - if they had not said we do not recommend the use of any other protector in order to maximize your experience with the phone. In fact... if they had simply left it bare, and left it up to me, I would have bought a glass protector, said forget the fingerprint scanner and had a phone that will be pristine, 2 years from now. But...as always, but this time to my chagrin, I follow the manufacturer's recommendations which has actually reduced my overall experience with their product this time.

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S

Hey @joeavery,

I'm very sorry to hear that you had a subpar experience with the pre-installed S10 screen protector... I believe Samsung's goal with this decision was to provide an extra dimension of protection for the device at no added inconvenience to the customer. Unfortunately, as this is considered a bonus add-on, it isn't covered under warranty, and we're also not given much leniency regarding one-time replacements as that sets a precedent for all screen protector-related issues.

If you're unhappy with the quality of the pre-installed one, you're absolutely welcome to try third-party alternatives! 😊 However, I have to emphasize that we can't guarantee that your fingerprint sensor will retain the same functionality.  We very much appreciate your feedback, and I know Samsung is taking all customer input into consideration for future device releases.

Cheers,

Sabrina

0 Likes
joeavery
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Hi There Sabrina,

Thanks for the quick response.

The goal you mentioned doesn't quite work. If the protector had some kind of life to it (say longer than 3 weeks) then there might have been an added dimension of protection without inconvenience but therein lies the problem. There is a signficant inconvenience if, in order to ensure fingerprint scanner functionaility, a sub-par $30 protector has to be replaced several times per year.

Everyone is or should be unhappy with the quality of it - it's an easily sratched film that offers no impact protection.

It seems more like a band aid to a problem Samsung couldn't solve with its scanner vs a bonus item that provided extra protection. It's a real disappointment that, to me at least, is a blemish to Samsung's reputation and customer service.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S

Hey @joeavery,

I'd just like to say that it's nice to hear your insight on the screen protector situation, as I know this has been a contentious issue in the community. I understand your concerns with the screen protector's durability, and I agree that there is room for improvement here.

However, I want to clarify that the screen protector isn't necessary for the fingerprint scanner to function—you can absolutely use it with the Gorilla Glass! This add-on was simply meant to be a customer bonus that can be removed/replaced if so desired.

I hope this at least sheds a little more light on the situation 😊

Cheers,
Sabrina

0 Likes
Ray1
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S

I have had a S10 from the first day that they were available and have no marks on my screen protector but always make sure that it is the only thing in my pocket because it is nothing like glass protector.

The Whitestone glass is supposed to be good but I am using what I have till it has been tested and confirmed it works with the finger print .

Samsung only has the same as they installed to replace it with so if you damaged it already replacing it with the same is a waste of time.

Unless you have really gouged the protector your screen should be just fine under what you have when you peal the protector off

0 Likes
joeavery
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Hey Ray!

Thanks for the reply and I think you have the right idea...I will end up solving my problem on my own with a Whitestone once proven.

For the record though, I never put anything in that pocket but the phone, never leave it unattended, never allow it in the hands of kids, never touch it with sticky or dirty hands, etc etc.

It doesn't look like any kind of gouge... just a scrape...so hopefully when I replace it, it'll all be good.

I also have the Telus device warranty so if there is a gouge, I'll get it replaced.

0 Likes
uzairm87
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
get the whitestone dome. a 2 pack is 100 but works perfectly with fingerprint. I have a pack of the small s10 version which was sent by accident. I'll give to u for 50:)
0 Likes
uzairm87
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
mine is 2 pack as well
0 Likes