Original topic:

S10+ usb melted

(Topic created on: 12-14-2019 10:22 PM)
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
So I was driving home and had my phone plugged
In charging, i stopped and ran inside for maybe 3 mins and came out and continued to drive. At that point I smelled something burning .. looked down and checked my phone and went to pull out the USB charger.. it was hot to touch, .. I pulled and it ripped apart leaving the usb connector stuck.  I was able to pull it out after it cooled but now the usb port is somewhat charred and though it kinda charges it says to check my charger connection (even though its plugged in) 
I called customer service and they say it's not covered because it was a Qualcomm charger not samsung. I'm get it's not a  Samsung charger but after the note 7 bomb issues you would think they would not want others to know that the S10+ catches fire. 

The customer support over the phone was junk and not budging maybe Steve or the mod can contact the right people as I'm sure that's not normal 

Luckily I caught it and there wasn't damage to my car or anything else. But Samsung not coverning it even though it's a 8 month ish old Flagship phone is crazy. The phone has I belive as feature where it should shut off charging if it gets to hot or hits 100% 

0 Likes
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
It's not really that hard to figure out. The event the OP described is obviously rare. It'll probably never happen to anyone reading this. But rarity of the event does not make Samsung liable.
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Galaxy S
lol @ mindl
yes I expect my 1300 device to work with a 40 buck charger that is made by a reputable company. yes I expect that the phone should either know its getting too hot and stop or its reached 100% and stop charging. so yes I kinda blame the phone manufacturer. it's not the same as if I dropped it and then complained that the screen broke. what bone head doesn't charge their phone in their car ect. I'm in military so theres times I don't have a wall outlet and just have vehicles or other means. so ya I expect my phone to work and not explode or almost start a fire. I'm not angry at you just baffled on how you're on Samsung side for this. as I said I wasn't using some Chinese f ake charger or cord ect.
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Galaxy S
its 100% rare, and I think Samsung should take it serisous as it is rare so obviously something isnt right.. as the NoTe 7 issues I'm pretty confident any company doesn't want bad press with something rare and shouldn't happen
0 Likes
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
So then go dig up the list where Samsung will cover a 40 buck charger and not 39... or 38... or 37 dollar charger.
There isn't one.
You want to use a product to deliver and regulate electricity to something that costs over a grand then take better care of it.
Use a Samsung charger or take the risk. If that is unacceptable then tell me at what price is the cutoff?

Because your brilliant method would suggest someone could have spent 5 cents more to be covered.

Your anger is not going to change the logic here.
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Bad press?

"Guy uses 3rd party charger on 1500 phone and wants it fixed even though it is clearly stated to only use Samsung charger."
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
And hell yeah they should take it serious. Maybe a giant warning label that says to not use any other charger. Will that help you now? Is that better? Because it's apparently not getting through.
Habsfan
Expert Level 2
Galaxy S
man, some people are out to lunch, anyway man you have a good night. let the adults talk
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Sure i've made my point. Not saying Samsung shouldn't fix it. I'm saying they don't have to. Is it a bad customer service move? I think so. I was only trying to explain why they don't have to. So when you can actually tell me why they should be responsible for any charging device made by another company give it. If you ask me, you've been given one solid reason as to why you're told not to and why you will wind up with the same result.

Not sure what the, "adult," comment was in reference to. Have a wonderful day and if you have any further issues i suggest you check your owner's manual.
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
I am going to look and see... i suspect it's got something to do with the Qualcomm charger. Clearly it is said you may deliver a charge without a Samsung charger.
0 Likes
mindl
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
This us from Samsung USA and by no means an answer to the op's situation. It is also from a different device.
That being said, I suspect this is why Samsung will assume no responsibility for the occurance. I would (possibly wrongfully) assume that this applies to the specific device and situation mentioned in this post.

I am sorry this happened because it's expensive. I've said that. But i also am just trying to explain why you are being denied any compensation. You especially did not deserve to be treated with disrespect. You deserve to know why even though it is likely written in regards to your device. I would not disagree with compensation whatsoever. To not even attempt trying to help you understand is unacceptable.