Original topic:

S10 using ridiuclous amounts of data/wifi, and not showing where its coming from.

(Topic created on: 01-26-2020 10:08 AM)
Kevintuna
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S

I'm having a terrible time with a samsung galaxy s10 I bought in mid december. 

The phone is claiming I'm using a tremendous amount of data, but when I go to the usage tracking, it's not showing where it's coming from. On my last billing cycle, it showed 6gigs of data (which is all I have from bell). But if you go to the app tracking and total how much I actually used, it's under 800mb. The annoying part is my carrier is actually reporting the 6gigs as well. I had an s8 before this, and I've never used more than 1gig in my life. If I browse on amazon for 15 minutes, it will use approximately 100mb of data. It's at the point where I cant use the phone outside of my home. I've read on android forums of people with Samsung's having this problem on the newest android update.

I've called samsung twice. They first had me reset my settings, and then my network settings. This did not help.

They then had me put my phone in safe mode for 24 hours (they actually took control of my phone to see the data usage and how it's not being tracked accurately, and they were shocked).

Being in safe mode did not help, meaning it cant be a third party app.

I'm at the point where I wish I didnt even upgrade or buy the phone, since I cant even use it. I'd greatly appreciate any help. Please!

48 Comments
Pupusik
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Sorry to hear. So even in Safe mode your phone continues to generate data traffic.
Try this from home if possible.
turn of mobile services.
use only wifi.
use a computer at home to SNIFF your traffic activity.
Depending on your home router you may have some traffic analysis tools.
Try to see if there is any relationship between Moblile data usage and WIFI usage.
0 Likes
Kevintuna
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

@pupusik I appreciate the response. This may be a bit too advanced for me, I'll try to check it out.

GG2
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Have you checked the amount of data each app is using in mobile data usage list ? And did you set your apps to update through wifi only ? Just a few suggestions to check.

* turning on data saver could also help.
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
On top of @GG2 suggestion, did you set the mobile billing cycle to properly reflect the data used within the period?
Kevintuna
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

Data saver is on and apps are through wifi only. That's the interesting part, so I use 6gb of total data... but if you add up the data which is shown from all the individual apps it's actually around 1GB of total data used ( which is the correct amount).

So there's 5gigs of data which isnt accounted for and is even happening like this in safe mode. I'll post a link of other people having the same issue. And yes the billing cycle is correct. Here's a post which may better explain this issue.

https://support.google.com/android/thread/22454577?hl=en

0 Likes
Kevintuna
Active Level 3
Galaxy S

Here's a picture to show my current data usage. So I've BARELY touched my phone outside of my home... but it says I've used almost 1GB of data... when you add up the individual data usage from the apps I'm actually around 80mb ( which is the correct amount for how much I use my phone )

https://imgur.com/a/GfuPxhy

I legit cant use my data for more than 30 minutes a day or itll sky rocket over 6GB. Since it did this in safe mode as well it has to be the phone.

0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
OneUI2 bugs in a nutshell...

I saw the thread you linked to, it's obvious that this started after the OneUI2 update. Dates match, screenshots are from OneUI2... Plus Safe Mode not changing anything is even more evidence of this.

Wild guess, debug logs haven't been disabled by the devs, and are being produced and sent to Samsung? This could likely be an explanation, I don't know much apps that can hide this stuff, so it's probably a system component

I posted the same thing in the Google thread, to let everyone else know.
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
You want to see something strange? Data usage on mine seems ok. But third party app is way off...
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
It seems like carrier-calculated and phone-calculated data usage is consistent for those with issues. Maybe your third party tracker doesn't calculate the extra data usage since it's hidden. You tell me if your phone's data usage adds up (like you can see that your apps have consumed roughly 700MBs) or not
0 Likes