Original topic:

S20 Ultra 5G band disabled?

(Topic created on: 03-03-2020 11:23 PM)
ctangabc
Active Level 7
Options
Galaxy S
Hi, I have an Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G. I have noticed that I cannot select to set the phone to use 5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM band, like as others in the US. I am currently initialized the phone with Koodo, which doesn't have 5G network yet. I don't know if its restricted by the carriers csc, or may have to wait for an system update when the network rolls out 5G. Let's say if I want to use 5G, on another carrier by inserting their sim card to my device, will the 5G band available to be selected? Refresh the firmware with new csc? I am wondering if Samsung disabled the 5G band, because of Koodo software customization changes. If there are any Rogers, and Telus customers, who ordered the S20 series, can you verift if the 5G band is available? Thanks 

31 Comments
ctangabc
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
My point is to see which carriers disable the 5G band to be used with the S20s, and will there be a csc change required by reflashing the firmware, or will there be a system update to enable the bands. Will the bands be ready to use if I insert a supporting sim with 5G network?
0 Likes
uzairm87
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Roger's supports 5g
0 Likes
Galaxy S
If the phone were to be searching for 5G networks all the time it would drain the battery quite a bit more, it is likely disabled for now on Canadian models due to 5G not being readily available here yet.
ctangabc
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Searching for 5G will be draining alot of battery, it just annoys me by not seeing the 5G bands to be selected. I guess its disabled by the Canadian carriers. I want to know if Rogers, and Telus has the bands enabled.
0 Likes
ctangabc
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
I just want to know if this applied to certain carriers, or all carriers
0 Likes
Galaxy S
If I had an S20 myself I'd be able to more easily verify if 5G bands are available through Rogers but I likely won't be getting one for another 2 years.
Galaxy S
I don't know if this applies to all carriers but it likely does except for maybe carriers also present in the US seeing as there is no point for a purely Canadian carrier to sell a phone with a connectivity option that the customer can't use yet.
ctangabc
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
You may be right
0 Likes
ctangabc
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Canadian carriers disables the FM radio chip on the S20.😡
0 Likes