Original topic:

S20 Ultra Update

(Topic created on: 05-12-2020 10:05 AM)
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Anyone know **bleep** is happening with the updates for Canadian variants of the S20 Ultra? Checking online and on XDA, others had April security patch and are now on May with improved camera, system and etc.

And here we are in Canada still stuck on March.

**bleep** is going on? I have never regretted buying a Samsung before but seems like this S20 series is just full of disappointments...

15 Comments
EmCanc89
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Same here I thought of never buying Samsung phone after I purchased Note 10 plus and Galaxy buds but I decided to give it another chance and purchased S20 Ultra, let me tell you Camera is huge disappoinment. Pictures are coming exact same as Note 10 plus and sometimes worst. Not to tell this all space zoom is all GIMMICK. They should seriously release an update to fix all this crap
0 Likes
GG2
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
They might improve with updates (when they come) , but doubt they will completely fix.
0 Likes
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Seriously... Samsung needs to get their **bleep** together. The zoom is basically only for paper. The pictures are barely even usable. Huawei's zoom capabilities are way beyond Samsung. Might really be the time to switch to another brand.
0 Likes
dejanh
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Hahaha, I posted this exact concern months ago now. S20 series is slowly turning out to be one of the worst Samsung releases to date. Canadian support is basically nonexistent and will likely remain nonexistent for the foreseeable future. Low sales due to the high price and COVID-19 mean that this series is all but toast. This is especially true here because carriers hate supporting devices as-is, let alone those that haven't benefitted them. I still have my S20 Ultra. I largely stopped using it in favour of my Pixel 4 XL because the photo quality is so bad and updates aren't coming. Once stores are opened I am most likely returning the phone for a refund. Shame really, because if these two issues could be addressed this would actually be one of the best phones around.
0 Likes
GG2
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Focus hunting issues aside, photo quality is that bad?
0 Likes
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
They seriously need to come out with that update ASAP or I'm gonna jump ship too. Been a Samsung fan for a long time but lately they only disappoint
0 Likes
dejanh
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
@GG2 Yes, it's that bad. Side by side, for my photography needs that often involve portrait shots or close subjects, the camera is far, far behind what Google does with the Pixel 4 XL or Apple with the iPhone 11 Pro. (I have both of those phones as well so side by side comparison is easy). Add any movement into the equation and you can just forget it. It's like comparing a 2017 flagship to a 2020 flagship. Just to a avoid any misunderstanding, the camera is bad in other scenarios as well, especially when there is movement. It is just really bad when using the type of photography I outlined earlier.
0 Likes
GG2
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Wow ok. Kind of glad i went with the Note 10+ instead of the S20 Ultra. Without saying it's the best or compare it to the Pixel or Iphone, im very satisfied with the camera.
0 Likes
dejanh
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Well, the problem is really simple in essence and goes right back to this thread. Smartphones are not DSLRs. They use computational photography, which means Samsung has to invest in software to make it better. However, when Samsung is not investing in software and then on top of that when whatever investment they are making isn't even being delivered to consumers because Canadian carriers don't give a hoot, then you have a perfect storm for underperforming devices.
0 Likes