Original topic:

S8 Audio Popping in Games Since Pie Update

(Topic created on: 04-25-2019 08:23 AM)
JustinB
Active Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
Hello,

My S8 has been having audio popping since updating to the latest version of Android (Pie and One UI).

The popping seems to be happening only in games so far. 

The only temporary fix seems to be disabling the wifi. I know, strange, but it works. 

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Temporary Fixes:
- Turn off wifi while playing games/listening to music with the popping issue.

- Add the game or app in the game launcher and record your session using the built-in recording tool. Stop recording right away to stop it from saving footage. You'll hear the audio quality change instantly, gaining more bass and clearer sound.

Updates:
Edit - July 22, 2019: Still not fixed after a few security updates.

Edit - Nov 25, 2019: I recieved another update for the November security patch, issue still not fixed. Come on Samsung, it's been 8 months since this started and still no solution?

Edit - January 30, 2020: Another security update has come, and still no fix or acknowledgement from Samsung. We're coming close to the 1 year mark and it seems Samsung is completely oblivious about this issue still.

Edit - May 29, 2020: Well everyone, it's been over a year with this issue and Samsung is stopping support and updates for the S8. I guess we're just SoL now.
24 Comments
Galaxy S

what do you mean by "popping" can you please elaborate?

0 Likes
JustinB
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
When the volume is on (happens with both headphones and speaker), you can hear popping and cracking. This happens at random intervals but is consistent as in you can hear it happen within the first few seconds of the game. I've experienced the issue in Honkai Impact 3rd, Dragalia Lost, Fire Emblem Heroes and Bang Dream so far.

As mentioned, as soon as Wifi is disabled, all seems to be fine. No popping or cracking audio.
0 Likes
GeneralAlex
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Happens with Ragnarok M too

0 Likes
JustinB
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
I managed to find some posts on Reddit with other users experiencing the same problem. The issue is more noticeable while headphones are on. So far Spotify and YouTube are not effected.
0 Likes
Galaxy S

hmm I was gonna ask if it happens with Music too but seems no and it only happens on LTE network not wifi.....super odd.

Have you submitted an error log via samsung members?

0 Likes
JustinB
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
Thanks for the response. I just did so right now.

Correction, the issue happens while wifi is toggled on. Issue does not occur on LTE.
0 Likes
SHONG
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
It happens when I am listening to music, and when I open a game the audio pops for a second, regardless whether wifi is on or off
0 Likes
JustinB
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
Interesting! I'll keep an ear out for that too. I wonder if maybe factory resetting would make a difference?
0 Likes
JustinB
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
Ive had a few security updates since this post and the issue is still present.
0 Likes