Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Email - No Popup Notifications

(Topic created on: 03-25-2020 11:43 PM)
mikle
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Why doesn't Samsung email display popup notifications when a new email arrives anymore?

In every other app on the planet, when a message comes in, you get a little message appear at the top of your screen.

Why did Samsung disable this? There is no way to turn it back on, and I've tested this on 3 different Samsung phones (Galaxy S8, S10+, and S20+).

Its weird because:
  • the notification sound is played,
  • the badge on the Samsung Email icon updates,
  • If you pull down the notification shade, you will see the email notification
But no message ever appears at the top of the screen when the message arrives!

I have troubleshooted this extensively:
  • Notifcations are set to ON (all options),
  • Samsung Email it's not being 'optimized',
  • Adaptive notification are set to OFF,
  • Samsung Email has not been out to aleep
Samsung, please explain why you've done this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Galaxy S
Hello Mikle, please try the following:

Open Email App→ click 3 bars on top left→ click settings icon→ Notifications→ New emails

Enable Show as pop up

This will resolve your issue. Hope this help.

View solution in context

15 Comments
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I'll add that I've done all the usual cache clearing steps and phone resets.

This happened on my old S10+ and it also happens on my brand new S20+. It also happens on my wife's Galaxy S9 and my dad's Galaxy S8.

This happens in Android 9 and Android 10. This is not a caching issue. It is literally happening on 4 totally different phone models across 2 different operating system versions!

This is either a bug, or Samsung has specifically chosen to no longer display popup messages for new emails.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Should be - Settings - Advanced Features - Smart Popup View - Scroll down to Samsung Email & Toggle it On - Anyway - You shouldn't be so quick to blame Samsung - Popup Notifications are there - You just have to Search or Ask for the answer - 2nd & 3rd screen shots are the Popup for Samsung Email.
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Hi there. Thanks, but I'm not talking about smart popup view. I'm talking about *normal* notification messages. To make it perfectly clear, I will take a screenshot of a standard Gmail notification message that appears at the top of the screen when I receive an email so its clear what I'm talking about. I'll post it later today.
0 Likes
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
And don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Samsung and their products. Between myself, wife and Dad, we've had the Galaxy S1 (Captivate), S7 edge, S8, S9, S10+, and now S20+. I don't lightly or "quickly" point the finger at Samsung for issues. I have spent a LOT of time trying every way I can think of, and searching the internet for advice to fix this issue before posting this.
0 Likes
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
The term "popup notification" has existed years before the "smart" popup view Samsung developed. This is why I'm going to post a picture so its clear what Im talking about.
0 Likes
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Here is the screenshot of a normal popup notification from Gmail that appears when a new email arrives. No such message appears from Samsung Email anymore when new messages arrive.
0 Likes
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Can someone from Samsung confirm that *normal* notification popups have been removed from Samsung email, so I can end searching for a fix, or confirm that they still should exist--in which case I will continue to try and find a solution? I've attached another example of a "normal" popup notification, this time from Whatsapp. You can see how it pops onto the screen no matter what app you're in at the time. Samsung Email only makes the notification sound... but no message popup.
0 Likes
Solution
Galaxy S
Hello Mikle, please try the following:

Open Email App→ click 3 bars on top left→ click settings icon→ Notifications→ New emails

Enable Show as pop up

This will resolve your issue. Hope this help.
mikle
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Thanks, but these are all already ON. In fact, every toggle on the Samsung Email notification settings are ON. Also, Android Adaptive Notifications are OFF, I've made sure that Samsung Email is NOT being optimized, and I've made sure Samsung Email has not been put to sleep.

Can you show me a screenshot of a Samsung Email "normal" notification popup you've received, because after seeing this same behavior on 4 different phones across 2 different Android OS versions, I am basically of opinion that this is either a bug or a deliberate decision by Samsung.

Also, if you ARE able to get notifications, can you tell me what version of Samsung email you're on... I'm on version 6.1.11.6.
0 Likes