Original topic:

Secure Folder after March security update

(Topic created on: 04-30-2020 08:25 PM)
fredsmithy
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Hello! My S8 downloaded the March 1, 2020 security update this morning. Now my secure folder will no longer open saying it is locked due to unauthorized software installed. Sounds like this happened in the past a few years ago with an update. Anybody else in the same boat? I scanned my apps and nothing came up. What can I do to get my secure folder back?
10 Comments
fredsmithy
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Just like the issue from a few years ago, the Samsung Health app also will not open due to unauthorized software as well.
0 Likes
Samesung
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
Only thing I can think is clear the app cache if possible. Also after every update it is highly recommended to wipe the cache in recovery mode. Just search how to do it. There's more than a few posts on the process...super easy!
Take care 😁
fredsmithy
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thanks for the suggestion. I've now wiped the cache in recovery mode but it hasn't fixed the issue.
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hey @fredsmithy,

Please reboot your device in safe mode and check if any third party app is causing the issue.

Please note that if your mobile device is rooted or is running a custom ROM, then Secure Folder automatically locks to prevent unauthorized access. If this occurs, you can no longer access data inside Secure Folder.

0 Likes
fredsmithy
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hi @keagan,
I booted into safe mode and still no luck. The same message saying there is an unauthorized app installed. My device is not rooted nor am I running custom anything. The only significant change since it last worked was the March 1 2020 security update.
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hey @ fredsmithy,

Thanks for trying...

Please check if any app has to be updated and check the "Install unknown apps" option is turned off.

0 Likes
fredsmithy
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Hello,
There are no outstanding app updates in either the Play store or Galaxy store. I don't have a master switch for unknown apps, but every app (including system apps) was set to not allowed to install unknown apps.
If for some reason there is an app causing the issue, is there no way to identify it?
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hi fredsmithy, you can find the option by following the below path.

Settings > Apps > Tap Menu icon (upper-right) > Special access > Install unknown apps.

0 Likes
fredsmithy
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Every app is set to not allowed.
Samsung Pass says my device has been rooted. I downloaded the Knox status Samsung and it came back with a 0x0 code confirming my device is not rooted. It seems like the update flashed something in an unrecognizable way and now because I have an S8 who knows if I'll be getting another system update.
0 Likes