Original topic:

Sending sms after mms failure

(Topic created on: 08-21-2019 12:51 PM)
Zaptor
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
This might be a signal issue but I live in a condo and the signal is on the weak side.  I always have 2-3 bars and always connected to LTE or LTE+.  I'm using S9+ with Koodo.

I have no issues making or receiving calls, sms, or mms, but I only have issues with this scenario:
1) I send or receive an MMS
2) When I try to follow it with an SMS, it fails. 
3) I have to wait for it to fail, resend it, then it goes fine.

I don't have this issue outdoors.

I've tried resetting the phone, network settings, new sim card, checked default apn settings, entered apn settings manually, different sms apps.  Nothing worked.

It has to be a signal thing, but I'm not sure why only this scenario fails. 

I've attached my signal strength inside (-112) and outside (-90). 

I posted the issue on koodo forums, but no solution. 

Thanks for listening. 

0 Likes
5 Comments
Galaxy S
Off hand - Sounds like the MMS is still occupying the network cache & until it has cleared - You are unable to send an SMS....

You could test my "world renowned Cache Clearing theory" (inside joke - sorry) by doing this:

Send an MMS - Then wait a second - Toggle Airplane Mode On & Off - Send an SMS - If it works - it would suggest that my "hairbrained" Cache Clearing is valid - Let me know if this "resolves" the issue/question 🐧
Zaptor
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
You're onto something, but maybe not conclusive yet :smiling-face:

So it definitely works after switching airplane mode on and off. But then after that, it's almost 50/50. It can keep working (sending mms then sms) , or it will fail on the next attempt.
I might add, that sending mms after mms always works.
Galaxy S
I'm thinking that for some reason - Network cache is not getting cleared automatically after sending an MMS - The suggestion of Toggling On / Off Airplane Mode wasn't intended to be a permanent solution - It is to try & verify that it was likely a Network Cache issue.

Does this ONLY occur when you are at your Condo?

You could also Contact Koodo & ask them to Reset your Network on their end...

Are you using Samsung Messages?
If so - You could download Android Messages from the Play & test with it - Send an MMS & see if it allows you to send an SMS immediately after - Without Toggle Airplane Mode On/Off.

Don't remember if you tried this - But you could also try Booting into Safe Mode & see if you can send an SMS after sending an MMS without Toggling Airplane Mode - Would rule out any 3rd party apps causing the problem..

But I think that maybe we are on the right track to figuring this out 🤞🐧

Let me know how the above suggestions work out 🕊

Just another thought - Check your Network Settings as seen in the attached Screen Shots - You may need to verify that your device is using the correct APN for Koodo & Check to see what your Preferred Network settings are & if it's "autoconnect" 🤙
0 Likes
Zaptor
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Thank you for all these suggestions, I will definitely try them. Yes, it only happens in my condo, not even in other buildings or houses :smiling-face:
It all started months ago when 3 things happened. I switched from note 4 to s9+, then from public mobile to Koodo, and finally bell installed 2 very small boosters outside the building as part of installing fibre internet in the building. I'm still thinking it's a koodo/signal issue, but I'll keep investigating.

Are you aware of any sms app that will show a detailed log of why an sms fails? I've tried samsung, android, textra and pulse, and can't find an error log.

Thx for your help.
Galaxy S
Open Signal app from the Play Store - is used all over the place to analyze Cell Networks & provides reports to multiple industry clients - as well as individual users.

BUT - Since the issue is ONLY occurring at your Condo - That narrows down the possibilities exponentially!

It may be Koodo's Network & how it "shakes hands" with other Networks - ie: Rogers - Bell etc at the location of your Condo...

I'm pretty sure that things like Safe Mode won't reveal anything as it's not happening everywhere - But contacting Koodo & asking THEM to reset your Network may well be the solution... 🤞