Original topic:

Shooting RAW photos only saves to Device

(Topic created on: 01-15-2018 09:52 AM)
RPMtl
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
When setting the S8's camera to Pro mode it will only save RAW (DNG) files and the associated JPGs to the internal storage and not to the SD card despite having set the SD card as the storage destination. When shooting the storage location is listed as "SD card". Videos and regular JPGs (when RAW + JPG is not enabled) do store to the SD card. I specifically bought a Samsung EVO Pro 128GB SD card so I would not have any compatibility nor speed issues. I assume the card's not the problem.

Is this a known issue? Will RAW+JPG shooting always save to internal storage regardless of the storage location setting?

I have enough internal storage to shoot many RAW images before transferring (moving) them to the SD card. But it would be better if I could have them stored there by default.

Thanks,

Russell
4 Comments
RPMtl
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Upon doing further research it seems it's a known issue and normal behaviour for the S8.
Seems kind o' strange ...
I hope that the Oreo update will change this.
0 Likes
RichMan1
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
This is normal and fixed by default. You can't save RAW photos and Burst Photos on any memory card, it'll always be saved on the device.
0 Likes
Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
I'm guessing they made it write to internal storage because it has more than double the write speeds of the external card. Despite card being fast, the internal memory is faster. Less time to process and store and be ready for the next shot without overloading processes and stalling in the end.
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy S
Hey @RPMtl! It seems that the problem needs to be solved. Could you please submit this as a suggestion to be possibly implemented in a future release? From the New Topic screen, open the “Category” dropdown and select “Suggestion”. Thank you for your feedback!

- Nick