Original topic:

Suggestion

(Topic created on: 01-06-2019 09:26 AM)
JDC
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy S
Suggestion, Samsung you should have message service like iMessage or ChatOn need to come back. There are many reason why Samsung you must have own message service, why we need this, how it can be helpful. I am going to talk about :-

1》SMS text is not good enough. Because carriers have control over it and it has less quality and last but not least we have character limit.

2》Text send via SMS they have to brake down into several separate text message.

3》Sending video or images via SMS is low quality and there is size limit.

4》Another good reason having own message service is, when we travel via airplane and while traveling we fly above the cell tower signals which result we can't send SMS, but ChatOn or any service which rely on internet we can use on broad wifi. So we don't need to switch between apps to send messages.

5》Samsung can make ChatOn available on every platform. Windows, Android, IOS , MacOS ,Tizen and Watch OS etc.
(In this ChatOn is just a reference to Samsung own imesssge like service)

https://youtu.be/zCzptabNASI
Useful video link.
9 Comments
Chib
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
everyone in the world except US and Canada uses WhatsApp, no matter android or iOS. China uses WeChat. This texting problem i only faced when I moved to Canada.
0 Likes
Geico
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
if you and your friend have a Samsung device. Go into messages settings and pick chat settings. That's pretty much like iMessage. It depends on your carrier. Because not every carrier will have it.
0 Likes
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Yeah i agree with @Chib. I feel like it's not a priority with how many 3rd party messaging services there already are out there, seems like it wouldn't be worth the investment to create another application when many users are already dedicated to a platform as it is. I'd have to assume that's also why they discontinued ChatOn services.
0 Likes
JDC
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
Guys do watch video.
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Hey! so I watched the video and it does have one valid point which is that it's a more streamlined setup having regular SMS text messages combined with iMessage messages in one app which is one of the main reasons I loved Google Hangouts but they removed that feature a few years back.

However, he does bring up my point that the market is so saturated with 3rd party messaging apps that trying to bring in another app is just too difficult because everyone has their dedicated platform(s).

Believe me, I'd love to have just one app with everything in it but it might just be too late. I have family on WhatsApp and Messenger, friends that are still on Hangouts, its awful and I'd love to have it all in one place but tbh the main fault here is Apple, if it wasn't such a closed ecosystem and made iMessage an application for Android as well then it could work out.

But as it stands, Android and iOS users both still have to have a 3rd party app to communicate with each other over the internet because of the separated Ecosystem. Would be nice for Samsung to create it's own default messaging service like iMessage for us but wouldn't solve the problem of multiple apps and I think that could be the reason for it being a costly investment that may not be worth the time. If anything it's up to Google and Apple to come to a joint app but we all know Apple likes its closed Ecosystem because it's a strong selling point for them.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Isn't that what RCS is for? Samsung Messaging now supports RCS (Depending on the Carrier) as does Android Messages... 🐧
theonecid
Expert Level 2
Galaxy S
Is the new Samsung Messages in Pie supporting Google's RCS platform yet?
0 Likes
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Yeah pretty much actually lol after I started doing research yesterday I found it was on Android Messages(think I knew it was a while ago but figured it would automatically be enabled eventually) and every time I tried to activate the "Advanced Features" I kept getting a message saying I would be notified when the services were ready. Wasn't till just this morning that they randomly became ready. Thing is is that I don't think anyone on my list uses Android Messages or at least doesn't have the feature turned on lol
0 Likes
Galaxy S
@theonecid seems to be using Android Messages (still not sure if I trust Samsung Messaging).