Original topic:

do you factory reset after an O.S upgrade?

(Topic created on: 01-20-2020 05:58 PM)
TBone
Expert Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
I'm just curious if it's a common thing if people do a factory reset after a new O.S upgrade. I know sometimes things can be of conflict with a new operating system versus settings in an old one, and that can cause problems. I personally experience restarting problems shortly after updating the android pie a year ago and a factory reset seemed to fix his problem. so I'm just wondering if maybe it would be a good idea to do a factory reset after I get the android 10 upgrade. But at the same time I'm wondering if android 10 would be less of a problem because its close to the android pie that I currently have, so possibly there will not be any issues. 🤔
0 Likes
Galaxy S
short answer: Yes

if you think about it, before upgrading your PC from Windows 8 to Windows 10, would you do a factory reset? most people would say yes so they can clear out the old operating system and have a clean version of Windows 10. it's no different on a phone, I for one always do a factory reset before upgrading to a new OS whether that is on my phone or my PC
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Only in case of problems. Too many apps and settings are not backed up and this is an annoyance for people like me who rely on some specific setups to optimize their phone usage (namely notification sounds, ringtones, LED notification light customization, Edge Lighting customization...)
Galaxy S
Agree with CHMutimedia. Only if there is a problem after wiped cache partition; otherwise, I will not.
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
this is me as well.. just cache
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Agree with CHMutimedia. Only if there is a problem after wiped cache partition; otherwise, I will not.

Thanks Tallman for your text, cut/paste was fun :winking-face:

0 Likes
BDTech
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Nope, don't care to.
0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
I cringe when I think of all the stuff that I hafta setup and customize again 🤦♂️
I do it the lazy way...
So I'll upgrade,
give it a few restarts,
try it, if it's ok great, done
if not I'll wipe the cache
I only rarely factory reset when I get major glitches and wipe cache didn't help enough.
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
ya I can see that, having to start from scratch basically isn't really fun. so maybe this time around I will not factory reset unless I have issues again. however I will clear the cache for sure. 👍🏻
0 Likes
CriticalMass1
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
why....t.f.... would you do a "factory reset"....after an OPERATING SYSTEM...upgrade?! that makes zeeeeeerrrooooo..ZERO... sense...
a factory upgrade wipes all your **bleep** drom memoery, youd lose all saved aanything....nitwitt
0 Likes
CriticalMass1
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
before hand maybe yeah, after?...makes noo sense
0 Likes