Original topic:

do you think Samsung should drop SD card slot

(Topic created on: 04-29-2019 06:58 PM)
Bing
Active Level 10
Options
Galaxy S
Ok before everyone gets their pitch forks

Back in days storage was expensive and very little. I could easily fill space. But in 3 years, S7 64gb has gone to 1tb. That's like 10 times increase. I take a lot of pics as I travel, shooting 4k and 12mp pics, but even I am sitting 170gb including android system. 

Also now Samsung sells 512gb for same price as 128gb. Yes it was one off sale, but it was very soon after launch, so expect this regularly now I guess. Like $760 for 512gb. Hck I paid similar price for S7 32gb back in days with a trade in. 

That said, should Samsung for s11 use 256,512 and 1tb storage and remove sd card slot to create space for other stuff?

Were also heading towards esim so maybe Samsung will only do one slot, swapable with sd and sim and one esim built in.

Benefit? Cheaper price, among others. I wonder those saying no prefer 128+128gb or 256 as one

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy S
I have to agree there are to many bonuses for having a sd card... file transfer to PC... music storage ease of switching data to new phone just to mention a few ..
plus for me this was why I didn't buy the S6 as it came with out a sd card holder

View solution in context

19 Comments
Jessilynn
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
no
0 Likes
RaeWolf
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
No!
0 Likes
punneyman
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
yes
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
No. This won't make the device cheaper. This won't free space for other stuff. Look at what others did when they axed their headphone jacks. Nothing. Not cheaper devices. Not special devices. NO-THING

Also it's cheaper to have 128+128 UFS/SD than 256GB UFS internal only
0 Likes
Bing
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
If they were same price, then?

This is why I brought up sale. If Samsung can sell 1 month old S10 512gb for $760, then memory must be really cheap for them. They didn't sell 128gb at lower cost, rather the 512gb.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
We're talking about normal sales conditions. Not "Samsung Gives Away latest flagship 50% off"
0 Likes
Galaxy S
No. Samsung should not get rid of the SD card slot. If you are planning on travelling to the US, you can remove the SD card, leave it at home and then if by chance that Customs at the border or airport pull you aside to look at your phone files, there will not be any external storage for them to snoop.
0 Likes
Jmak
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
If I break my device all I have to do is remove SD card and most of my data is good to go. I won't be forced to fix my device which may be 1 or 2 years old just to recover my data. instead I can just get a new phone.
0 Likes
uzairm87
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
would make sense to have esim and 1 slot tht works with sd or sim
0 Likes