Original topic:

is there life left in it

(Topic created on: 03-02-2020 11:27 AM)
mumbles1
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy S
I know the s8 won't be getting updated to Q.my question is it still safe to do banking on the s8? Or should I update to the s20? Other then security the phone still works great.
Thank you
10 Comments
Kinsley
Options
Galaxy S

Yes, these days any Samsung smartphone is safe to use for banking with their mobile apps with the KNOX security. Please make sure your phone has no spam or malware in it and do not install any third-party apps unless it is recommended or it is highly rated. However, you can also upgrade to S20 if you like the features in it.

Galaxy S
@Kinsley, is it possible to get system updates like minor features through security patch updates? Always wondered, sometimes on the update log, it says, Camera performance has been approved.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
In my opinion, it won't update to Q, but I think the security patches still keep going for another 2 years on S8. So , should be ok to continue using with online banking.

I remembered one of the member posted even the device no major OS upgrade, the monthly security patch will continue for 2 years? or 3 years? Can't remember the numbers, but won't stop security update right away as I know.
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
I was that member lol. The S8 is currently under monthly support, but will soon be demoted to quarterly updates. It is still perfectly safe to use it for banking purposes.
Galaxy S
Yeah, I am lazy to search 😆
0 Likes
Echo1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy S
As mentioned above your S8 is more than secure for any app including your banking app, Once a flagship phone is 2 yrs old then the phone will no longer receive OS updates or monthly security updates. However your security updates will carry on for before except they will come every 3 months
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
I pretty sure its 3 years of monthly updates and the 4th year is quarterly.
SamAnna
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
I am using S8+, getting monthly security update. recent one was last night for Feb 1 security patch.
0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
As far as Iknow, if your banking app keeps updating... your good to go bc they cover any losses 🤷‍♂️