Original topic:

no video when connecting phone to tv

(Topic created on: 07-12-2020 06:57 PM)
Samsung_nIcOh3M
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Anyone know why there is only sound (no video) when I try to connect my galaxy S8 to a smart tv?
9 Comments
neals
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
how are you connecting through usbc to hdmi or smartview?
0 Likes
Samsung_uhjeOWV
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S
ok
0 Likes
Galaxy S
through smartview. it tells me I am connected but no phone screen or video shows up on tv, only the sound if I try watching a video
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
Might be a DRM issue. From what app the video comes from? If something like Netflix, Prime Video or your cable provider's app, then it won't work in most cases due to the Widevine DRM
Kinsley
Options
Galaxy S

Hi Samsung_nIcOh3M,

Smart View can be used with Galaxy phones and tablets running Android 4.3 or above and with devices that support Miracast wireless display technology. This technology is built into most newer Samsung smart TVs. However, your phone or tablet must be connected to the same network as your TV in order to use this function. If Smart View is not working, restarting or rebooting your device will usually solve the issue. Keep in mind that DRM-protected contents cannot be mirrored as mentioned by CHMultimedia.

Some apps like Netflix and YouTube have an inbuilt screen casting function that makes it easy to share what you're watching between the big and small screen.

Connect your device and TV to the same Wi-Fi network
Download the compatible app to your device and TV
Log in or create an account. Sign in to the same account on both your TV and device
Open the content you want to watch through your device
Tap the cast icon

Please note: the location of the cast icon will differ depending on the app you are using and the orientation of your phone.

0 Likes
Galaxy S
hello. shouldn't my phone screen show up on the samsung tv when I use smart view? When I use smart view on my older tablet, I can see my tablet screen on the tv and use the apps (including prime video and crave) and view my photos. When I connect my galaxy s8 phone, nothing appears on the tv screen. if I try watching a video on crave/prime video, sound plays but no video. I am not sure how to get the phone screen to mirror to the samsung tv (we have 2 smart samsung TVs and my phone doesn't work with either of them). when I tried to get help through samsung, they had me try a soft reset using the power button and volume down button. it restarted the phone but no change.
0 Likes
neals
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
are you using vpn or dns?
0 Likes
Galaxy S
I don't know what that means. the tv and my phone are both on the same wireless network. with my tablet I just select smart view and select my tv and my tablet screen shows up on the tv. when i try the same thing with my phone, nothing shows up on the tv screen (blank, black screen). i can play a video on the phone and hear the sound on the tv but no images (no screen, apps, photos, video).
0 Likes
Halston
Options
Galaxy S

Hi Samsung_nIcOh3M,
Please verify the software update on your tv and check if it works.

Please select the source as TV and navigate to Home > Settings > Support > Software Update > Update now.

If the issue persists, provide us with the model number of your tv so that we can help you easily.

Please follow the below steps to find the model number:

1. From the Home Screen, use your TV remote to navigate to and select Settings.
2. Select Support.
3. Select About This TV.
4. From this screen, you'll be able to obtain the model and serial number and software version of your TV.
You can also find it on the rear panel of the tv. It starts with QN, LN, UN, etc...

0 Likes