Original topic:

swollen battery caused cracked back and separation

(Topic created on: 01-29-2020 07:12 PM)
Duder5001
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

The battery on my Galaxy S8 has swollen and caused the back to partially separate from the phone. The phone is just over 2 years old. Is this normal? I've read a few posts on the US community site and it appears my experience is not unique.

The phone seems to be working fine but my son says to stop using it because it might catch on fire. Is that possible?

I chatted with Samsung support today but they said it is out of warranty and fixing it is my responsibility. Jez, does a $1000 phone only last 2 years now?

Does anyone have any insight as to the cause of the swollen battery, where to get it fixed, and how much it would cost? I'm in Vancouver.

15 Comments
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S
If you always use the Samsung's charger, Samsung should replace your phone because it's surely a defective battery...don't pay to make it repair

@Jeremy_from_Samsung Moderator here or new Ambassadors should help you to get a new phone FREE

Your son is right it might catch on fire.
eye8
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy S

I have exactly the same issue with my Samsung S8+. I was really careful with it and I only used the samsung charger. Last month, it suddenly got hot and swelled up , and pushed the back up and created a vertical line under the front glass. Battery drains super fast to 0, and continue to be hot after it's turned off. It would be nice to have it replaced FREE.

@Jeremy_from_Samsung Moderator here or new Ambassadors should help you to get a new phone FREE

0 Likes
Galaxy S
usually the cause of swollen battery is due to overcharging, but phones nowadays are built in with failsafe.. if it reaches 100% it will automatically stop charging.

my theory, maybe is due to the type of charger you are using.. it maybe a third party charger or the charger is giving off extra electricity to charge.

my second one, maybe is by using 3rd party wireless charger, which makes the battery to warm up.

these are just my assumptions of swollen battery, but @Cassidy has a point, if your phone battery is defective, they should cover for repair, as they have issues with battery with the note 7, before.
Galaxy S
my Galaxy Note 8 is 2 years and 2 months now, and is currently being charge under 220 volts, with its original charger, and is still working fine and no battery issues at all.
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S

The warranty on the device is 1 year from the date of purchase.  Samsung is correct that you're on your own for this.  Batteries aren't perfect and have a finite number of charge cycles, and can be affected by non-OEM chargers.  if you've had it for 2 years, and recharged it every day, that's over 730 charge cycles.  According to batteryuniversity.com, lithium batteries usually have a life expectancy of 300-500 charge cycles in most consumer products.

Take it to a samsung authorized repair center, pay the $100 to get the battery replaced if you plan to keep your S8

Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I don't agree with you if you find it normal than a battery is swollen or die after 2 years...in Quebec, life duration for a smartphone is around 4 years  and i hope this is including the battery...I am still using a Galaxy tab 4 and battery is still good, i can't imagine i will have to change the battery of my Note10+ in 2 years,

HEY, SAMSUNG SUPERUSERS, WHAT IS YOUR BATTERY LIFE DURATION  , WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER AS NORMAL ? (swollen battery is abnormal and can be dangerous)

Should works 4 yearsShould works 4 years

Finally , i'm happy leaving in Quebec ,

If the final choice is yours, the Consumer Protection Office (OPC) recalls that the products you buy are covered by the legal guarantee which provides that, taking into account the price paid, these goods must have a reasonable lifespan .

In the case of a cell phone, this period is evaluated at four years

Si le choix final vous revient, l'Office de la protection du consommateur (OPC) rappelle que les produits que vous achetez sont couverts par la garantie légale qui prévoit que, compte tenu du prix payé, ces biens doivent avoir une durée de vie raisonnable.

Dans le cas d'un cellulaire, cette période est évaluée à quatre ans 

0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
never heard of that...a law like that wouldn't make sense since they could just refuse to sell devices with batteries in Quebec. batteries can't last daily recharging without degradation over time. swollen or not, 2-3 years is the expected lifetime if recharging every day
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy S

https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/consommateur/bien-service/bien-consommation/electronique/garantie/garanti...

Rien sur le temps spécifique....  Mais l'appareille elle-même peut est garanti, et la pille, mais après 2 ans, il n'y a plus de garnatie par la loi ni le fabricant

0 Likes
Duder5001
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Thank you everyone for your comments. You gave me something to think about.

I decided to get the phone fix on my own. It cost me $100 but it is done and I carry on with my life. 

gokongming mentioned a 3rd party wireless charger may cause the battery to swell. I use one so that may have been the cause.