Original topic:

video compression error for fb messenger on galaxy s8

(Topic created on: 08-06-2017 04:38 PM)
sfabs
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
So my wife has been telling me how terrible the video and sound is of the stuff I send her over Facebook messenger. she even showed me what the video looks like to her. it's horrible. the sound is horrendous. Very noisy and echoey and choppy. And the video quality was very bad. I uninstalled and re installed FB messenger; the video I take Now is better but the picture is super artefacty and noisy. the sound is fine now though. So if I take video with the phone itself (not using messenger) everything sounds fine and looks great . I'll send that video and preview it and it's perfect. But it seems to always happen on the receiving end after compression or something. it's very frustrating. essentially every video i try to send is garbage. Is this a bug in fb messenger or in samsung galaxy s8's? I also noticed an improvement in compression quality when sending video when I saved my video recordings on internal storage at the time of recording rather then my sd card. So ultimately I don't know what's going on and would love some help.
0 Likes
7 Comments
Jonathan34
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Does your wife receive anyone else's video qualities similarly? Basically I'm seeing if the issue is on her end or yours because the issue, as stated, has to do with after it's compressed.
0 Likes
MamaBear
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
From what I understand from previous posts .... this has to do with the quality and type of video your phone takes ... FB Messenger doesn't use the same quality as your phone does so it makes a difference in how it plays on the other end. I don't know how to fix it but I suggest maybe going back through some of the posts in the community to see if someone came up with a fix for it ... sorry I couldn't be of more help... good luck!
Galaxy S
YES!! See MamaBear, just being on here, you also learn stuff too. This is correct, Pictures/videos sent over the cellular LTE or 4G network are compressed so this is why the quality is degraded. Anything over wifi or actual Data will keep the same quality. I use whatsapp to send my pix/videos
sfabs
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
my wife has an iPhone. she never really has any trouble with the videos she receives but that's from other iPhone users mainly. But mine kind of stand out like a sore thumb. even tested sending videos to my brother and he said it was happening on his end too. the strange thing is after I send a video. I press play on it in fb messenger and it looks and sound fine. it doesn't even show me the true quality of what it looks like on the other end.....
0 Likes
MamaBear
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
@SnowCat19 ... You are likely the REASON I KNEW that lol SnowCat is an amazing font of knowledge for those of you not already in the know lol
Galaxy S
@MamaBear, aww thanks for the compliment, really goes a long way :)
0 Likes
MamaBear
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Just telling the truth. I've been the recipient of said knowledge ... it is VERY appreciated.