Original topic:

Ask An Expert Thread!

(Topic created on: 09-19-2019 10:33 AM)
Options
Others

Hey Samsung Members – thanks so much for joining the first ever live ‘ask an expert’ program in our community forum.  We are excited to get started and look forward to answering all your questions! Below is a quick overview of the format we will use to ensure that everyone can follow along and to give you all the opportunity to have your questions answered.  The event begins at 4PM EST sharp - and ends at 5PM EST.  any questions that are still unanswered will be replied to via the community after the event. 

Format:

• Please post one question as a “Comment” in this discussion thread
  • The moderator will use the ‘reply’ function in the comment to your answer question based on the Expert panels’ input
  • Only one reply per comment will be made during the event – if there are follow up questions please send them to the Moderator afterwards and we will ensure you get more info!

Some suggestions to keep things moving:

• Please allow a moment or two for your comment (question) to be replied to – we may need to leverage the knowledge of one or two people in the room to create a clear and accurate reply
  • Please do not flood the forum with multiple comments (questions) – let’s give every Member a chance to ask – per above, we will be happy to continue replying during the days following the  event
  • Please follow our community guidelines at all times
135 Comments
SamsungSteve
Community Manager
Options
Others

Hello LeeLeeLee, 

Sounds like there is an issue beyond the updated software. This likely needs to be looked at to determine what is happening as the update shouldn't have impacted camera quality. Have you taken this to our service center to have it looked at? If not that is what I recommend. 

LeeLeeLee
Active Level 2
Others
oh. no. really?! I mean thx for the comment.... Unfortunately the location closest has no one in the store capable of assisting w any issues which was why tried here.
Options
Others

Hey @LeeLeeLee!

Hrmmm....that sounds like an issue. Definitely DM me after this event and we can dive deeper into it! Thanks:)

Cheers,

Jeremy:)

LeeLeeLee
Active Level 2
Others
Thanks too. Will try to figure out how-to *lol*
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Others
Got enough time to copy my question here! Still have my other questions posted in Lifestyle too. So this was my absolute #1 melting burning exploding question:

While only a few may understand how important this question is, this issue affects everyone.

So here's my burning question: Why is the bootloader locked for phones sold in Canada?

A few years ago, before the S8, phones sold in Canada did not have their bootloaders locked. Even today, tablets sold by Samsung in Canada do not have a locked bootloader. The Galaxy Tab S5e I'm using, despite the Snapdragon 670, proudly offers me the "OEM Unlock" option in Developer Options. The Tab S4, using the very same Snapdragon 835 as our S8 and Note8 offers the option too, unlike its pocketable siblings. There's also the matter that the same S8, Note8, S9, Note9, S10, Note10 sold in Latin America and other lucky places in this world possess unlocked bootloaders, with the very same Snapdragon SoCs.

Now here's a little information on "what in the world is a bootloader" and "why would I want an unlocked one".

Your device's bootloader, basically, permits or not the installation and execution of other OSes. When Samsung pulls the plug on your device and ceases software updates (and with flagships still not having 3 major OS updates, this comes rather soon for such expensive devices), your choices are either to upgrade (even if your device is still working perfectly and you don't want to upgrade), remain on outdated software OR flash a custom ROM and enjoy a new lease on life for your device. You can also use a custom ROM or other advanced tweaks to unlock the full potential of your device. It basically lets you own your own device.

So here's my question. I had a lot of other questions but if we're only picking one absolute must, this would be the one. I was really hoping to know the rationale behind this decision from an official so that we can all understand why the bootloader is locked in Canada for phones.

Looking forward to read the answer by the end of my exam!
SamsungSteve
Community Manager
Options
Others

Hello ChMultimedia, 

Thank you for your question. In Canada, we have determine best way to ensure our customers receive and are able to enjoy the best Samsung Experience is by ensuring they maintaining the official OS. In the past we have had some challenges when indivduals augment or change the OS and lose functinality or the device loses responsiveness and we are limited in our ability to support those customers. So it is with the best intentions that we opted to lock the bootloader.  

CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Others
Thanks for the answer.

I understand the reasoning behind this decision (though it feels more like restricting everyone because some were irresponsible with it). However that doesn't address the fact that tablets have their bootloaders unlocked so that's a bit weird.

Thank you again for the answer and thanks for the other answers provided on this thread as they've proven interesting.
Others
hey guys! thanks again for taking the time to answer our questions! my question is still about The Ambassador Program; any word on when it's being implemented?
SamsungSteve
Community Manager
Options
Others

Good afternoon ZMAHD, 

it's been while since we met at our SES store in the Eaton Center. Hope all is well.. 

Yes since we have had an increased volume of obscene or abusive posting especially on long weekends and after hours, the need for an ambassador program has been posted quite a bit in the community.  in various regions Samsung has used a number of different ways to enable our active members to enhance the quality of the community. In Canada we have been monitoring other country examples to determine the best way forward. 

I am happy to share we are very close to announcing an Ambassador program and we have 2 candidates selected to start this off. We have a few more internal things to work through, but something will be announced on this soon. 

Others
that's awesome! can't wait to see what you guys come up with! Hopefully I meet the criteria 👀