Original topic:

My Best App

(Topic created on: 10-11-2019 08:04 PM)
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Options
Others
Since the time of its inception, smartphones have allowed us the ability to connect and access information right in the palm of our hands. Because of this, apps have become an integral part of our day-to-day lives. Whether it be accessing social media, banking services, finding the nearest coffee shop, or just wanting to read the daily news, we now have an arsenal of apps at our disposal. Through the many advancements of technology, this has also introduced the vast array of smart devices we use every day. We now have smart lights, smart TVs, smartphones, cameras, and sensors. But sometimes this can be a burden, having too many apps to handle all the different devices that we own.

I believe the best app understands the needs of its consumers and does its best to solve even the smallest challenges we face in our everyday lives. It also impacts us positively by providing meaningful experiences and uses simple automation that is effective and interactive to its users.

The criteria I think contributes to an app of high caliber would be:

• Purposeful – Does the app provide value to its users by identifying needs and helping them achieve the purpose of its use.
  • Design – The app is easy to use, navigate, accessible, and follows a good flow for the user.
  • Secure – Ability to audit historic events, controlled access to its members, and requires a secure login.
  • Sustainable – In the world of many apps, can the app be maintained in its ecosystem of competitors (regular updates, new features, unique services).  

With these factors in mind, I’d like to introduce my best app from the Galaxy Store as the SmartThings app.

The SmartThings app houses many features that I use every day. It has become my Smart home security, automated lights, programmed outlet for power, as well as remote control for my Samsung Smart TV. SmartThings helps consolidate all of my smart devices in one spot and is even more handy with the SmartThings panel. With the use of this panel on my Galaxy device I am able to control my Gear IconX earbuds, different Scenes I’ve created in the SmartThings app, and even access to functions on my Gear Sport smartwatch.

The SmartThings app sets itself apart in that it allows me to access all of the devices across the Samsung ecosystem as well as other devices compatible with the SmartThings Hub. A great addition to the compatibility is the Philips Hue ecosystem of products which I use as automated lights with my SmartThings motion sensor. Moreover, the multipurpose sensor on my front door helps me detect if anyone has opened the door while I am away and alerts me if there is an intruder. I can say I am very happy to see the integration of the SmartThings app with the many Internet of Thing (IoT) devices out there. It has really resolved my issue of fragmented devices and software by combining its access into one meaningful app. The SmartThings app is the hub for all of my devices and there is no other app that integrates it all in one panel/interface for my Galaxy device. The ease of use has made it a life changing experience for me and the use of IoT devices. 

In a world full of technology, the best app is really that one app that solves the smallest of challenges that we face in our everyday lives. For me, it was consolidating access to all my smart things. ;)

#MyBestApp #SDC #SamsungContest #SmartThings

2 Comments
Ameet
Active Level 5
Others
Agreed! The way Samsung Smart Things work is unique compared with Philips Hue and others. You get the controls of your home at the pull down notification shade. Samsung should market the Smart Things Hub more as not a lot many people know about it.
ZenoKnite
Active Level 7
Others

The notification shade is the most useful feature. I'd be lost without it as it is my quick access to my connected devices, especially those times you want to use separate app audio or activate scenes.